PDA

View Full Version : Updating to Lollipop via OTA update (downloaded, reboots into TWRP) {Nexus 7}

trussed
2015-01-22, 02:38
This may be a basic Android question, in which case I apologize, and am happy to follow links to elsewhere, if someone can point me in the right direction...
{This is on a Nexus 7, 2013 (razor) tablet}

The 5.0.0 update gave me issues, so I downgraded to 4.4.4 and flashed the latest (at the time) NH builds. It worked well and I was able to use the functionality I'm familiar with. [Thank you!] I saw an OTA update come in for 5.0.1, and ignored it for too long and the option to install disappeared. I figured that NH may not be up to Lollipop in the dev builds, so wasn't going to press the matter. ... Today I got an OTA update to 5.0.2. I selected "Install" from the notification screen and the tablet rebooted into TWRP. I tried selecting "Install" and the 'razor' zip from /cache, but it responded with a 'failed' after trying to flash.

I know performing this update may put me back to stock Lollipop, and I'd have to re-flash NH, I'm okay with that.
I can also just flash Lollipop if necessary, but I'd like to understand if an OTA update is an option, as flashing is usually not convenient for me....

photonicgeek
2015-01-22, 17:34
Lollipop changes the way OTAs are flashed. instead of patching files at file-level, it just replaces the entire partition at block level. If it detects that anything AT ALL has been modified, it will refuse to flash. Unfortunately, the only way to go about it is to reflash it entirely. You can use something like MultiROM to boot between Lollipop and KitKat based NetHunter, but that is, unfortunately, your only option.

trussed
2015-01-23, 01:46
Thanks photonic; I was considering multiROM - is there a tutorial on it, or is it a very common option?

Lollipop changes the way OTAs are flashed. instead of patching files at file-level, it just replaces the entire partition at block level. If it detects that anything AT ALL has been modified, it will refuse to flash. Unfortunately, the only way to go about it is to reflash it entirely. You can use something like MultiROM to boot between Lollipop and KitKat based NetHunter, but that is, unfortunately, your only option.

photonicgeek
2015-01-23, 18:35
It's pretty easy. Here is the XDA forum for MultiROM. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2457063

trussed
2015-01-23, 20:50
Great! Thanks!

It's pretty easy. Here is the XDA forum for MultiROM. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2457063