PDA

View Full Version : Docky toolbar.

Malachai
2013-03-16, 22:04
Hello All,
have you guys tried to install the docky stuff yet? The install went find but when you try to drag an icon into the tool bar it's not working.. Just thought I ask:confused:

Tron
2013-03-22, 17:54
I'm using cairo-dock without any issues here (much nicer with OpenGL)

kpoeticg
2013-03-28, 09:54
Agreed. I have cairo-dock installed too. Wayyy more customizable (at least on Kali/Gnome), it seems like there's a few options/addons for Docky that aren't compatible.

maverik35
2013-03-29, 04:08
I installed cairo-dock but in my ATI radeon has some issues. All efects are fine just leaves a small black background when hiding dock...

So I have it installed, but I do not use it. But it should work fine with some other cards.

I did not try Docky, but it's a lighter dock and do not uses many resources.

Luck.

stiw47
2013-03-29, 21:50
It is strange that I has a lag and 97-98% cpu with docky. I try to install and uninstall several times, and every time I has a whole system blocked after few minutes use of docky, and need to reboot.

Cairo dock open gl work like a charm

Toshiba satellite pro u400, dual core 2,26ghz, 2gb ram, intel graphics.

kpoeticg
2013-04-01, 00:23
maverik35. If you get the black rectangle, you need to set up a window manager. Compiz work's pretty pimp. Gives alot of nice extra options like 3D cube desktop. When i installed it it wasn't in the Kali repos yet but it's in the Debian repos. Cairo mixed with compiz gives a pretty sick desktop. Especially if you edit dconf to get rid of the bottom panel. If you have any issue's just search compiz wheezy or compiz debian. Shouldn't take long to be all set up. Makes a huge difference

ntzrmtthihu777
2013-08-31, 22:54
maverik35. If you get the black rectangle, you need to set up a window manager. Compiz work's pretty pimp. Gives alot of nice extra options like 3D cube desktop. When i installed it it wasn't in the Kali repos yet but it's in the Debian repos. Cairo mixed with compiz gives a pretty sick desktop. Especially if you edit dconf to get rid of the bottom panel. If you have any issue's just search compiz wheezy or compiz debian. Shouldn't take long to be all set up. Makes a huge difference
Can't believe my first post will be a necro, but info needs to be distributed regardless of age. While compiz has some very nice eye candy, it seems excessive to install it just for docky; the default, metacity, can do composition without need of installing compiz. All you have to do is run

metacity --replace -c in a terminal and you're set. Not sure if it has to be ran on every startup, but if it does adding it to startup applications is simplicity itself.