PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Driver and linux-headers-3.14-kali1-amd64 Issue

lillypad
2015-02-20, 04:00
Hello fellow Kali Linux users,

Before I get ran over with I need to do "apt-get dist-upgrade" and use the new kernel I have several applications that refuse to run on the new kernal thus I Installed 1.09a and also have the 3.14 kernel. I can boot into 3.18 no problem and everything is great with the Nvidia Driver. However when I go back to use the 3.14 kernel on ocasion I'm greeted with that wonderful black screen and cursor. The new kernel I believe is excellent however I have noticed some bugs with it and would love to be flexible in going back and fourth. That being said I know they removed the package linux-headers-3.14-kali1-amd64 from the repro because they have updated the repro for the 3.18 kernel. Does anyone have a mirror or something I can add to my sources.list file to be able to install these headers or even a .deb installation or something lol. My original install of 3.14 kernel on my mac works just fine as I had it installed previously but had to reformat my PC the other day and well here is where I'm stuck. I welcome any suggestions I've been through google for an answer but have yet to find one.

All I need to know is where do i get the linux-headers-3.14-kali1-amd64 package since it has been removed from the repro and it should fix this problem.

#How to Reproduce
1. Install Kali Linux 1.0.9a fresh
2. apt-get update
3. apt-get upgrade
4. apt-get dist-upgrade
5. reboot
#IMPORTANT: Login to new kernel from grub
6. apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
7. apt-get install nvidia-kernel-$(uname -r)
8. apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms
9. apt-get install nvidia-xconfig
10. nvidia-xconfig
11. reboot
12. #Login to new kernel 3.18 works fine
13. reboot
14. #Login to old kernel 3.14 black screen with cursor
15. ctrl + alt + f1 for tty1
16. #Login as root
17. apt-get install linux-headers-3.14-kali1-amd64
--ERROR--
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-3.14-kali1-amd64
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-3.14-kali1-amd64'
--END ERROR--

Anyone else having the same issues as myself?

Cheers

-Lilly

Varna75
2015-02-20, 11:03
please return the old headers 3.14.
or tell me where I can install, headers + nvidia kernel 3.14.
I have problem with 3.18 my machine freezes very often.
I made the first update from 3.14 to 3.18 and had to reinstall because it freezing.
I downloaded new ISO 1.1, I installed it but froze again

lillypad
2015-02-20, 13:55
For anyone who wants to know the answer to this see bug tracker here https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=2121

The answer is no they will not add it back to the repo unforunately and yes you are out of luck here

:mad:

blackMORE
2015-03-06, 00:54
For anyone who wants to know the answer to this see bug tracker here https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=2121

The answer is no they will not add it back to the repo unforunately and yes you are out of luck here

:mad:

Bit old post but if anyone bumps into a similar problem, you could add Debian repo, install headers and remove those repo. Pretty much works for any old kernels (unless you're after GNU kernel) eh!