PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot Kali 1.1.0a and OSX 10.10 on Macbook Pro (10,1)

cpenchoen
2015-04-25, 17:21
I just got this running today after struggling for about 3 weeks, and wanted to share how I did it, as in the course of getting it running I never once found a walkthrough that pertained to my model of MBP or OSX 10.10. I also thought it was worth doing a write up, as my method differs from the existing ones by jinxc (https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?25240-Macbook-Pro-Kali-Mac-OS-Dual-Boot-Install-Guide-amp-WiFi-Guide) and beasleyboy (https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?19266-How-to-install-Kali-with-EFI-and-dualboot-on-Macbook-Pro) in that it does not require the installation use of a Super Grub2 Disk during installation. Forgive me for being excited if this is an unneccessary thread, as being a total newcomer to Kali and Linux in general, I was pretty stoked once I got this going.

-Download a Kali .iso from the official page.

-While waiting for the download to complete, download a copy of rEFInd. Don't use --notesp, as rEFINd WILL NOT work if installed to the OSX partition.

-After refind installs, navigate to the ESP and rename EFI/ESP/refind to EFI/ESP/boot.

-Rename EFI/ESP/boot/refind_x64.efi to EFI/ESP/boot/bootx64.efi.

-Once the download completes, burn a Live DVD. I was unable to get a USB working no matter what method I tried, the closest I was able to get was using SevenBits' Mac Linux USB Loader (https://sevenbits.github.io/Mac-Linux-USB-Loader/), however when attempting to use the USB made by this program, Kali would skip the menu asking whether you want to run as a Live USB or Install, and would instead default to the Live USB. This however was unusable because the default root/toor combination did not work, and I was not able to to figure out how to chmod the Live USB to change the root password. After tinkering with the grub.cgf file I was able to get the menu options to appear, but upon selecting each of them, I would get an error saying that /live/vmlinuz couldn't be found. I didn't try to go further than this before saying screw it and using a DVD. I'm sure its possible to install Kali via a USB, however I was unable to find a tutorial that worked.

-While you're in Disk Utility, repartition your drive so that you've got a place to install Kali. I went the simple route and just gave OSX and Kali each 250GB.

-Reboot with the Kali DVD inserted and hold the Option key. Select EFI Boot from Apple boot manager (the first screen), then select the CD option labelled "Legacy OS from CD"

-Kali will load the way its supposed to, by first asking how you'd like to run it from the disc. I chose Install at this point, didn't try to see if Live mode or Graphic install would work properly at this point, so you may want to experiment with the other options.

-When the installer prompts you on your HDD partitions, make sure to be careful so as to not overwrite OSX.

-Let the installer do its thing. Once it completed I created a Hybrid MBR following the guide at http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-dual-boot-on-mac-hardware. Not sure if this was 100% needed or not.

-Once I had it installed, I had two issues, first, was that when the computer restarted, I would be met with a GRUB command line that I didn't know how to use, and secondly, when holding the option key to boot into rEFInd, I found I was no longer able to boot OSX. I was able to resolve both issues by booting into Kali and checking the partition labels in Disk Utility; OSX was labelled as EFI and needed changed to HFS+. I don't remember messing with the labels but I'm sure I mischecked something I shouldn't have.

At this point, your computer will now boot into OSX same as factory on normal bootup, then when you want to load Kali you just hold the option key, select EFI, then select the Linux icon labelled vmlinuz. If you select the other one (can't remember the name at the moment) it will not boot, it will just give you an error.

The next couple of days I'm going to attempt to remove rEFInd and solely use the Apple boot manager, and if that is not possible, then removing the extra Linux entry in the rEFInd menu. If anyone has questions, suggestions, or comments, I'll be happy to answer them as best I can.

jinxc
2015-04-26, 08:28
Excellent job, seems we're slowly working out every issue with the Macbook Pro's

anantashrestha
2015-07-13, 07:09
i have had the same problem after installing linux on my mac book pro i can't boot into OS X. I also checked my partition tables and OS X partition is labelled as HFS+ only so what can i do now??? how to fix this issue????