PDA

View Full Version : No Wireless Networks Found Error After Aircrack-ng 1.2 RC2 Update

KaliBoy
2015-05-07, 03:12
Hi,

I updated Kali a couple of days ago and I noticed that now when I put my card in monitor mode it changes to "wlan0mon:" instead of "mon0". I know this is an upgrade bit now when I am in monitor mode I cant detect any wireless networks at all but I can detect networks before I put my card in monitor mode I have searched here and google but cant find anyone else with the same problem. any suggestions would be appreciated. I use Wicd Network Manager but cant see any wireless networks in Kali's network manager either.

g0tmi1k
2015-05-07, 09:46
Once you put your card into monitor mode, it will not be in 'managed/client' mode - thus it can't act as a station and connect to a WiFi AP.

Its one or the other.
Else get two wifi cards.

KaliBoy
2015-05-07, 10:53
Thanks g0tmi1k,

I am using a VM (VMplayer) and an external Alfa card. I have NEVER had a problem in the past with finding networks whether or not in monitor mode untill I updated Kali a few day ago. Any suggestions how I can get this back. I don't understand what has changed.

g0tmi1k
2015-05-07, 12:57
Thanks g0tmi1k,

I am using a VM (VMplayer) and an external Alfa card. I have NEVER had a problem in the past with finding networks whether or not in monitor mode untill I updated Kali a few day ago. Any suggestions how I can get this back. I don't understand what has changed.

As you said before, you updated Kali - as a result - you got the new aircrack-ng package (v1.2 rc2).
You mentioned this, as your interfaces are now different. If you look at the output, you will see its also different, when enabling monitor mode.

Example:
https://www.kali.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/airmon-ng-1.2rc2-kali-linux1-1024x482.png

You can see now, after running airmon-ng start <interface>, it now 'disables' station mode on 'wlan0'
Which is why the station interface is no longer visible when monitor mode is enabled.

This is shown by doing 'iwconfig' - and only wlan0mon being visible (not wlan0).

Its not good practice (& I believe a bug in aircrack) to have one card, split over two interfaces, in different modes. Its not healthy, confusing for the OS and not really stable performance. See this post for more simlar information: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?25390-Installing-Aircrack-ng-1-2-rc2&p=45107&viewfull=1#post45107.

As stated before in my last message, you are no longer able to have monitor mode & station mode at the same time - its one or the other.
This change happened with aircrack-ng v1.2 rc2, when you upgraded Kali.
You either need to re-install kali (as you have updated aircrack-ng & kali's repo doesn't keep other versions of packages), manually install an older version of aircrack-ng, or get another wifi card if you want it back how it was.