PDA

View Full Version : Kali dist-upgrade broke systems

vengir
2015-05-19, 23:41
So I haven't updated my Kali in 6 months or so... I use a VM version with additional tools and files. I did an apt-get update followed by an upgrade, back and forth two or three times, then ended with a dist-upgrade. Once I rebooted the VM, I get a new login prompt that does not have the "other" dropdown.. plus my user and password no longer work. I logged in via recovery console (I see versions 3.18.0 and 3.14, both with normal, recovery and a sysvint option in the GRUB), changed the password to default, but still can not log in. System is now 3.18.6-1 per recovery uname.
I have a hard box kali I upgraded at the same time. I can log in with the default user and password but there is only the black background and "Computer" icon... no menus, no right clicks, no terminal ability. System is now 3.12.6-2 per recovery uname.

Questions are:
1) Can I revert the dist-upgrade?
2) How can I connect to the internet via recovery console to download a kali-linux-full? I've tried static IP assignment but it won't ping past my modem.
3) How can I run a terminal using just the file system icon so I can try networking and upgrade options via non-recovery load?

I'm not proficient in Linux CLI, and have done google searches with no results that work. I am sure there is something simple other than copying all files to a thumb drive via recovery and reinstalling, but would like some guidance and/or commands.