PDA

View Full Version : Easily installed NH on 2013 Nexus 7 but need advice.

Vantramp
2015-06-10, 04:23
I finally bought a second gen Nexus 7 and in my anxiousness to get Nethunter installed, I somehow missed the problems people were having with 4.4.2 so of course now I have the WiFi issues. I am now needing to install the 4.4.4 image which I downloaded off the dev site already. I unpacked the tgz to a folder on my Kali laptop and am now just trying to nail down the best path to take.

Can I skip flashing the bootloader-flo-flo-04.02.img then just push the image-razor-ktu84p.zip with nexus-adb, install it with TWRP and run the root-linux script?

Is it possible to skip installing Gapps so I can skip all the extra google bloat and perhaps just install apps from play.google via a (sideloaded) browser?
If not, would I be correct in thinking the Gapps zip would need to be installed before running the root-linux script mentioned before?

Finally, I am pretty sure I need to re-do the busybox, TWRP(apk) and Nethunter next correct?

In the steps above, I didn't say anything about wiping any data or otherwise because I have no idea if it is needed and at what point or how I would do it.

Any help in getting me set on the right track would be appreciated.

clone
2015-06-13, 07:57
I'm aware why you want to do this in the way you have set out to do it,and don't mean to discourage you.
but updating to current Android version, and then using the Windows based NH installer is the easiest way. by far.
it's about as simple as jailbreaking/carrier unlocking an iphone; maybe even easier (since you are not even modifiying a baseband etc). If anything goes wrong; you can just restart the process using Wugfresh' Nexus Root Tool to return to unrooted/stock.

Vantramp
2015-06-14, 03:12
Hi Clone, I appreciate the advice. I responded to my own thread the other day to say I got it. Didn't realize it didn't post. I didn't realize some of the issues with my thought process until I tried it and it failed.

The Google 4.4.4 image wouldn't flash with TWRP for some reason so I went ahead and reflashed the bootloader. I have only done a few flashing projects with android devices (5) and none of them were back to factory. That said, I didn't realize Gapps was part of the image so the rest of my questions were pointless. I cleaned all but what I needed out and all is functioning well now. Also got my ubertooth one up and running well on it so I am in a much better mood now.

About windows. Don't have too much against it, but I haven't used it in any real way other than to support others on the job back a few years. Linux guy since my first floppy install of Slakware about in 94.

Linux makes sense to me, windows....not so much.

Thanks again though for the suggeston!