PDA

View Full Version : git is broken!

anubix
2015-06-27, 23:06
Using kali on a usb as a certificate authority

made a custom iso the other day no problems... except i left out a couple packages i need (oops)

NOW: when I clone live-build-config.git (and subsequently run lb config) kali.list.chroot IS NOT PRESENT!!!

this worked the other day, someone must have updated the .git and mucked it up.

Can someone else please try cloning the git, running lb config and confirm this is not working?

xXEmbalmerXx
2015-07-15, 20:15
I am having the same issue....

bash: /config/package-lists/kali.list.chroot: No such file or directory

anubix
2015-07-15, 21:23
OK! I figured this out.

It seems whatever rocket scientist is in charge of the live-build-config.git has been messing it up for some time. Judging from the last time i checked he has sacked the entire project for months now by only publishing the difference of some code he's trying to update instead of the entire project's code.... smooth move ex-lax!

If you goto git.kali.org (with a web browser) and click on live-build-config.git project (http://git.kali.org/gitweb/?p=live-b....git;a=summary) you will see (way at the bottom at the time of this writing) that there was an edit on 3/12/2015 and then 6/3/2015.....
These two seem to work (i only tried the 3/12/2015 snapshot, got it to work and threw in the towel since the mod staff here is NOT INTERESTED in helping anyone interested in being part of this community.....

SO: if you look at one of the two entries i mentioned, then look all the way to the right you will see: "commit | commitdiff | tree | snapshot"
Click snapshot, to download a tarball of the project from that point in time. Extract the files, and you will see config/package-lists/kali.list.chroot..... Extracting the files from the archive replaces the "git clone git://git.kali.org/live-build-config.git" step in the process.... instead extract the files, open a terminal and navigate to where you extracted the files, then continue the guide from there (lb config, etc)
*Note: if you extract the files in this same manner from the latest version of live-build-config.git you will notice config/ directory is missing entirely!!!!! (at the time of this writing)

The iso should come out ~2-3Gigs(+) depending on what packages you included in the build.
ALso: I got one of the 300Mb .iso outputs to boot in a vm: it appears to be a barebones kali with no programs, and no gui.... so effectively a completely stripped of all programs live debian linux iso... worthless.

Thanks to everyone else who posted about this issue in parallel, since the mods dont care, it at least illuminated the fact that since others were having the same problem I was... it probably wasn't an issue between the keyboard and the chair.

Cheers!

xXEmbalmerXx
2015-07-18, 22:49
Thanks for the tip anubix.

I am going to test this out tonight and I'll let you know what I end up with.

BTW, since your link was parsed it cant be followed, but I found the files without any trouble.

xXEmbalmerXx
2015-07-20, 06:35
I used the one dated 2015-06-03 from git.kali.org and it successfully built me a KDE live distro.

Thanks a lot for the tip there anubix.

I was hoping to get this built before 2.0 comes out because I am afraid that I am not going to like what it is that I suspect it will be built around. So I made a -all install and I can use it as a reference if in the future I need to build my own distro based on Slackware (my preferred OS) or Salix.

XCk4
2015-08-09, 22:19
Try this:

cd live-build-config/kali-config && rm variant-default && ln -s -T variant-xfce variant-default

vui24hus
2015-08-15, 10:08
OK! I figured this out.

It seems whatever rocket scientist is in charge of the live-build-config.git has been messing it up for some time. Judging from the last time i checked he has sacked the entire project for months now by only publishing the difference of some code he's trying to update instead of the entire project's code.... smooth move ex-lax!

If you goto git.kali.org (with a web browser) and click on live-build-config.git project (http://git.kali.org/gitweb/?p=live-b....git;a=summary) you will see (way at the bottom at the time of this writing) that there was an edit on 3/12/2015 and then 6/3/2015.....
These two seem to work (i only tried the 3/12/2015 snapshot, got it to work and threw in the towel since the mod staff here is NOT INTERESTED in helping anyone interested in being part of this community.....

SO: if you look at one of the two entries i mentioned, then look all the way to the right you will see: "commit | commitdiff | tree | snapshot"
Click snapshot, to download a tarball of the project from that point in time. Extract the files, and you will see config/package-lists/kali.list.chroot..... Extracting the files from the archive replaces the "git clone git://git.kali.org/live-build-config.git" step in the process.... instead extract the files, open a terminal and navigate to where you extracted the files, then continue the guide from there (lb config, etc)
*Note: if you extract the files in this same manner from the latest version of live-build-config.git you will notice config/ directory is missing entirely!!!!! (at the time of this writing)

The iso should come out ~2-3Gigs(+) depending on what packages you included in the build.
ALso: I got one of the 300Mb .iso outputs to boot in a vm: it appears to be a barebones kali with no programs, and no gui.... so effectively a completely stripped of all programs live debian linux iso... worthless.

Thanks to everyone else who posted about this issue in parallel, since the mods dont care, it at least illuminated the fact that since others were having the same problem I was... it probably wasn't an issue between the keyboard and the chair.

Cheers!

Thank you, your's guide is very correct! I figured it.