PDA

View Full Version : Nexus 7 2013 with 5.1.1 installation problem

kaliJJ
2015-08-14, 13:18
I just got in my first ever android device last night and it prompted me to update the OS, which I did. It apparently put 5.1.1 on there. I then started following the instructions to install nethunter on it. Everything seemed to go fine until the last step of the "prepare" section of the instructions, which is supposed to complete the rooting process and then boot back into android. It always came up to the team window screen with a bunch of red error messages about an invalid partition size. A bunch of googling suggests that by updating I may have made it incompatible with some of the patches to root it. FORTUNATELY I was able to get android back on there by following these instructions (https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4596836?hl=en). I went ahead and put 5.1.1 back on there because (coming from Apple and iOS land) I wasn't sure if I'd be able to downgrade or not.

Any suggestions on how to proceed in successfully putting nethunter on my nexus 7 at this stage?

deadlyhabit
2015-08-17, 20:56
Did you install TWRP via the wugsoft root tool, or through the app store? Also did you run busybox before attempting install? Is you device still unlocked, and/or do you have it in usb debug mode while trying to install?
Believe me I used to have the same issues before this became nethunter and now it's easy breezy even to do what I did, go to latest lollipop on my nexus 7 2013, install nethunter then find it had an issue i disliked and go back to kitkat and reinstall it again within like 40 mins.

Vantramp
2015-08-21, 23:37
I would go with Kitkat and NetHunter 1.2 at least until everything is known to be working in a more solid way with the newer release and OS. My 2013 N7 has been rock solid and incredibly functional. It will take quite a bit to convince me it's worth moving to the newer versions.

deadlyhabit
2015-08-22, 03:21
Honestly so far for me the latest version on KitKat has been as solid as the previous. Kind of glad I had issues with Lollipop as I'm not too keen on the new look to it in comparison.

kaliJJ
2015-08-22, 12:37
Did you install TWRP via the wugsoft root tool, or through the app store? Also did you run busybox before attempting install? Is you device still unlocked, and/or do you have it in usb debug mode while trying to install?
Believe me I used to have the same issues before this became nethunter and now it's easy breezy even to do what I did, go to latest lollipop on my nexus 7 2013, install nethunter then find it had an issue i disliked and go back to kitkat and reinstall it again within like 40 mins.

I've tried pretty much every combination of installing TWRP. It won't install through the GUI and it I install it through the command-line developer tools (ala linux install guide) it installs but can't mount anything. So from this thread it sounds like you have to do it with your nexus at kitkat, which I thought I had tried many iterations ago, but I'm going to try again now.

deadlyhabit
2015-08-23, 02:26
Well the way it did it was the manual install guide off of the http://www.nethunter.com/ step by step. It will install fine on a rooted lollipop, just that I stick with KitKat due to issues using my TL-WN722N adapter with it (plus not a fan of the new look).
wugsofts tool should install everything needed once you have your nexus unlocked including TWRP. You just need to make sure SuperSU is working and run busybox prior to attempting to install it.
Once unlocked, rooted, superSU is good, and you run busybox and install what it recommends you just need to boot into recovery (TWRP) and select the kali zip which should be in the root of your nexus' storage and hit install.

And believe me it's much less of a nightmare than it was installing the original pwnpad stuff before it became NetHunter.

Rod
2015-09-11, 03:11
I am having a separate issue with my Nexus 7 2013. When I boot into recovery after pushing *.zip to /sdcard/, it fails to mount and TWRP shows 0mb available and nothing is mounted. Has anyone experienced this and knows of a fix?

Greenwolf
2015-09-17, 06:39
@Rod The Nexus 7 2013 doesn't have an SD card, so you need to push to the onboard storage. You need to push to /data/local/tmp/*.zip

Remember to add the name *.zip to the end of both arguments on the adb command.

There is currently a problem rooting with Wugs, try an alternative method. I just wrote a huge guide on how to install Nethunter on my blog here:
http://greenwolfdevelopment.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/how-to-safely-install-nethunter-20-on.html

I also made a fourm post here:
https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?27431-How-to-safely-install-Nethunter-2-0-on-any-supported-device

jermzz
2015-09-23, 04:02
I am having a separate issue with my Nexus 7 2013. When I boot into recovery after pushing *.zip to /sdcard/, it fails to mount and TWRP shows 0mb available and nothing is mounted. Has anyone experienced this and knows of a fix?

When you boot into recovery and click the console box (bottom middle button) does it show the mount errors? When you got your device was it preloaded with lollipop 5.01? If so, you need the multirom version of TWRP and everything will mount correctly. Then you'll be able to adb push Kali to your /sdcard/ folder. You're going to encounter a plethora of other problems too when setting up Kali. I've been dealing with it for a month now. I've finally just got everything working properly this week.

deadlyhabit
2015-09-24, 04:27

put the zip into your root directory (like when you open up your say C:\ drive)
outlined my installation process of 2.0 in this thread https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?26948-Nexus-7-(2013)-TL-WN722N-Causing-Kernel-Panic since the old nethunter page with the process is gone.