PDA

View Full Version : TrueCrypt removed from Kali 2.0

tocktick
2015-08-15, 17:23
Hey all. I noticed that Truecrypt 7.1a is no longer bundled with Kali 2.0. I checked the bug-tracker and it was still an open issue (0002432). Is there any reason for its removal?

John_Doe
2015-08-15, 21:00
I feel your pain, tocktick, I ~love~ Truecrypt! Way back when I saved all the installers, and have added it to my Kali, but I haven't found any way to associate .tc files to it. Instead I have to do Applications - Accessories - Truecrypt and browse to a .tc within the program. It works.
As an aside, I guess you can open a .tc using "cryptsetup" but I haven't tried that yet.

pamamolf
2015-08-15, 22:25
Yes Veracrypt should be included :)

aGravity
2015-08-24, 11:06
What is the 'recommended' way to create (smallish [few gig]) encrypted volumes/images now that Truecrypt is no longer secure?

I used to keep a lot of my sensitive directories in a Truecrypt volume/image (mount after boot) that I would symlink to. Made backing up & transporting my sensitive material on removable media a breeze...

Any help on this would be most welcome.

Cheers, aG

Name Taken
2015-08-24, 22:49
You can use dm-crypt in conjunction with a loop device.

fallocate -l 1G container
losetup -f container
cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/loop0
cryptsetup open /dev/loop0 anything
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/anything
mount /dev/mapper/anything /mnt

umount /mnt
cryptsetup close anything
losetup -d /dev/loop0

aGravity
2015-08-25, 00:09
You can use dm-crypt in conjunction with a loop device.

fallocate -l 1G container
losetup -f container
cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/loop0
cryptsetup open /dev/loop0 anything
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/anything
mount /dev/mapper/anything /mnt

umount /mnt
cryptsetup close anything
losetup -d /dev/loop0

Thank you Name Taken, I look forward to checking out dm-crypt as per your suggestion, aG.

redN00ws
2015-09-07, 20:51
Yes Veracrypt should be included :)
I love VeraCrypt... It should be included in Kali 2. I believe it is the best maintained version of TrueCrypt.
You can download it form https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/releases/view/616110, unpack the installer and run the installer in Terminal.