PDA

View Full Version : Made a xorg.conf file to get 2 monitors, now have 2 of everything on desktop

sleepless
2013-03-17, 21:57
I started by attempting to get 2 monitors set up, i found multiple places where it was said i need to edit a xorg.conf file which i didnt have. I found out that newr distros dont have a xorg file they have a xorg.conf.d folder. I also found out that running the command Xorg -configure would make a xorg.conf.new file and all that must be done is to rename it to xorg.conf and move it to /etc/X11 so i did this and then restartd X. I thought i had both monitors working because the default Kali linux background was on both screens for login but then second screen went completely white. I attemppted to fix this by changing part of the xorg file from this:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "Card1"
Monitor "Monitor1"
SubSection "Display"
to this:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "Card2"
Monitor "Monitor1"
SubSection "Display"
The outcome was text on the second screen about my devices such as usb. i attempted to reboot and then my computer wouldnt boot, this may be my overclock not being completely stable, i dont know, but i cleared my CMOS and it would boot again except now i had 2 of everything, except for program icons on desktop.
Like this:
NOTE: both drop down 'Applications' menus work individually, as in if i open one the other doesnt open and this is the same with everything else that is doubled.

Can Anyone please help, id rather fix this then do a fresh instal because I am trying to learn what i am doing. I have a live usb with the same version of linux on it so i can fix whatever can go wrong if the fix for my problem is complex.

shr3k
2013-04-03, 20:52
The same. After i tried to switch monitor in ATI Control Center.

http://s23.postimg.org/4ucyyvciz/Screenshot_from_2013_04_04_00_35_26.png