PDA

View Full Version : Insatll with encryption to HDD, taking long time

HACK-R2D2
2013-04-21, 04:35
I am doing an install using the option of encryption. Netbook, Acer, 1gb mem, HHD 160gb. I am guessing it is taking a very long time to do because the encryption process is taking a long time.

BUT, currently the red indicator shows it is not even at 25% and it still says erasing data etc... (currently it has taken a few hours to get to this point)

My question is, though it says erasing data is it in fact erasing then encrypting/formatting at the same time ?

If it is only erasing, why would it take so long to erase, even if it were doing some type of XOR XOR etc... it should not take that long right ?

marjan
2013-06-07, 14:17
Hello

1. Download kali-linux-1.0.3-amd64.iso or 32 bit.
2. usb boot or dvd/rom > Kali menu > install.
3.Select Guided - use entire disk and set up encrypted lvm
4.Select Seperate /home partition or not, choose what you want
5.Cancel erasing data on partition by pressing esc key.
6.Provide password for encryption. (STRONG) ;)
7. Select mirror --> yes --> blank
8. Grub mbr --> yes --> install finnished > reboot
End of instalation.

Boot fail (unable to find lvm volume)

Type this, watch for big and small letters !

1. cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda5 sda1_crypt
2. enter passphrase... (Enter your password for decryption)
3. lvm vgchange -ay
4. exit

Now it boots, when you come to Kali Linux open terminal and type:

1. blkid /dev/sda5
2. copy only the UUID without speach marks 0000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
3. With text editor open /etc/crypttab
4. And insert new line in /etc/crypttab:
sda1_crypt UUID=0000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 none luks
5. Safe /etc/crypttab
6. update-initramfs -u

Reboot and test if everithing is working normaly.

BR
Marjan Repic

root-boy
2013-06-11, 11:20
I am doing an install using the option of encryption. Netbook, Acer, 1gb mem, HHD 160gb. I am guessing it is taking a very long time to do because the encryption process is taking a long time.

BUT, currently the red indicator shows it is not even at 25% and it still says erasing data etc... (currently it has taken a few hours to get to this point)

My question is, though it says erasing data is it in fact erasing then encrypting/formatting at the same time ?

If it is only erasing, why would it take so long to erase, even if it were doing some type of XOR XOR etc... it should not take that long right ?

obviously, encrypted Disk Install takes more time to complete, but if the erasing process is taking hours then you may have a hardware problem with your hard disk. what is your hard disk BTW ?

shubomber
2014-06-28, 12:15
Sorry to necro-post but this came up on Google results. I think it just takes a long time to ease because it's erasing everything including freespace so that old data can't be recovered. I just cancelled mine because I'm not waiting six hours.