PDA

View Full Version : Recent Kali 2 Update Killed OpenVas

mire3212
2015-08-29, 03:30
I just updated Kali 2 today with a couple of PHP modules and now OpenVas no longer scans. The GreenBone Admin portal works fine and I can add/edit new targets, add/edit new scans, but it doesn't actually begin the scan.

I am reletively confident the recent update is what caused the issue given that I was able to run a scan yesterday morning just fine and the only thing that's changed is the update.

Anyone have any experiencing in troubleshooting the OpenVas tooling? The logs are pretty empty and don't really provide any assistance and nothing is showing in syslog regarding the scanner's functions.

Thanks!!

when123
2015-09-18, 10:27
I just updated Kali 2 today with a couple of PHP modules and now OpenVas no longer scans. The GreenBone Admin portal works fine and I can add/edit new targets, add/edit new scans, but it doesn't actually begin the scan.

I am reletively confident the recent update is what caused the issue given that I was able to run a scan yesterday morning just fine and the only thing that's changed is the update.

Anyone have any experiencing in troubleshooting the OpenVas tooling? The logs are pretty empty and don't really provide any assistance and nothing is showing in syslog regarding the scanner's functions.

Thanks!!

hey , I have same problem with yours . The openvas-scanner is not running , it show that the redis server is not running ,

still i am waiting for some one can resolve this problem .

you can use sytemctl to check details too .

it show openvas-manager and redis server load failed

h3ll0
2015-09-18, 15:12
hey , I have same problem with yours . The openvas-scanner is not running , it show that the redis server is not running ,

still i am waiting for some one can resolve this problem .

you can use sytemctl to check details too .

it show openvas-manager and redis server load failed

Consider running

openvas-check-setup

This will validate your setup and provide instruction for what needs to be done to work.

when123
2015-09-23, 04:51
Consider running

openvas-check-setup

This will validate your setup and provide instruction for what needs to be done to work.

root@debain:~# openvas-check-setup
openvas-check-setup 2.3.0
Test completeness and readiness of OpenVAS-8
(add '--v6' or '--v7' or '--9'
if you want to check for another OpenVAS version)

Please report us any non-detected problems and
help us to improve this check routine:
http://lists.wald.intevation.org/mailman/listinfo/openvas-discuss

Send us the log-file (/tmp/openvas-check-setup.log) to help analyze the problem.

Use the parameter --server to skip checks for client tools
like GSD and OpenVAS-CLI.

Step 1: Checking OpenVAS Scanner ...
OK: OpenVAS Scanner is present in version 5.0.1.
OK: OpenVAS Scanner CA Certificate is present as /var/lib/openvas/CA/cacert.pem.
OK: OpenVAS Scanner server certificate is valid and present as /var/lib/openvas/CA/servercert.pem.
OK: NVT collection in /var/lib/openvas/plugins contains 40639 NVTs.
OK: Signature checking of NVTs is enabled in OpenVAS Scanner.
OK: The NVT cache in /var/cache/openvas contains 40639 files for 40639 NVTs.
OK: redis-server is present in version v=2.8.17.
OK: scanner (kb_location setting) is configured properly using the redis-server socket: /var/lib/redis/redis.sock
ERROR: redis-server is not running or not listening on socket: /var/lib/redis/redis.sock
FIX: You should start the redis-server or configure it to listen on socket: /var/lib/redis/redis.sock

ERROR: Your OpenVAS-8 installation is not yet complete!

Please follow the instructions marked with FIX above and run this
script again.

If you think this result is wrong, please report your observation
and help us to improve this check routine:
http://lists.wald.intevation.org/mailman/listinfo/openvas-discuss
Please attach the log-file (/tmp/openvas-check-setup.log) to help us analyze the problem.

when123
2015-09-23, 04:52
Consider running

openvas-check-setup

root@debain:~# service redis-server start
Job for redis-server.service failed. See 'systemctl status redis-server.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
root@debain:~# journalctl -xn
-- Logs begin at Wed 2015-09-23 09:16:17 CST, end at Wed 2015-09-23 12:50:00 CST. --
Sep 23 12:50:00 debain systemd[1]: redis-server.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Sep 23 12:50:00 debain systemd[1]: Failed to start Advanced key-value store.
-- Subject: Unit redis-server.service has failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit redis-server.service has failed.
--
-- The result is failed.
Sep 23 12:50:00 debain systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Open Vulnerability Assessment System Scanner Daemon.
-- Subject: Unit openvas-scanner.service has failed
--
-- Unit openvas-scanner.service has failed.
--
-- The result is dependency.
Sep 23 12:50:00 debain systemd[1]: Unit redis-server.service entered failed state.
Sep 23 12:50:00 debain systemd[1]: redis-server.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
Sep 23 12:50:00 debain systemd[1]: Failed to start Advanced key-value store.
-- Subject: Unit redis-server.service has failed
--
-- Unit redis-server.service has failed.
--
-- The result is failed.
Sep 23 12:50:00 debain systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Open Vulnerability Assessment System Scanner Daemon.
-- Subject: Unit openvas-scanner.service has failed
--
-- Unit openvas-scanner.service has failed.
--
-- The result is dependency.
Sep 23 12:50:00 debain systemd[1]: Unit redis-server.service entered failed state.

when123
2015-09-23, 05:00
finnally , i fixed the problem . the /var/log/redis/redis-log write permission is disable .
so just chmod 777 this file .it works now .thanks

cabel
2015-11-13, 09:09
finnally , i fixed the problem . the /var/log/redis/redis-log write permission is disable .
so just chmod 777 this file .it works now .thanks

when123 can your teach me how to fix it..can u give the code ..help me bro

grid
2015-11-13, 13:37
Thanks for the tip, when123 :)