PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Support Error During Installation

Tyrian
2013-04-22, 01:26
I've run Backtrack with encrypted LVM for a couple of years, so when I saw the release of Kali (AMD64, version 1.0.2), I immediately grabbed it. I'm installing on an Asus G1 laptop with USB media. Detailed specs can be found here (http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3403). They're are about 1/3 the way down. The only upgrade made was a new 250GB hard drive. I used the prescribed Windows method for performing the USB flash, and am installing to a single partition, with a separate home partition. Since I'm having trouble getting it running, this is basically a shakedown install, and therefore, somewhat disposable, hence the lack of encryption. The installer network choice is my wireless adapter, wlan0, an Intel 3945ABG card.

Now, the problem. I've selected yes when it asks if I want to use a network mirror. I then get the status bar that says, "Configuring apt, scanning the mirror...", followed by message stating the configuration has failed. When I checked VC4 for warnings/errors, I get the following message:
Warning **: mirror does not support the specified release (kali)

I then accessed the installer's shell and tried to do some debugging. However, the provided shell is pretty limited and doesn't seem to have things like ifconfig or iwconfig that I usually use to look at the status of network adapters. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Before I forget, I did also check the checksum of the image file before flashing, and it passed.

Any advice?

Tyrian
2013-04-23, 17:49
I just tried to install Kali again, except this time, I skipped doing the network mirror configuration. The installer ran to completion without an issue. I rebooted into the new installation and started poking around. One of the files I looked at was sources.list. It only had a single Kali security repo listed in it, which seemed a little off to me. Researching what should be in there led me to this post here (http://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?702-How-many-repos-are-supposed-to-be-in-sources-list). I modified my sources.list to match that of maverik35, and now I can access all the Kali repos.