PDA

View Full Version : Kali Linux Dual Boot Issue (on Mac OS X)

Kali Linux User
2015-10-03, 07:40
So, I've been trying to install kali linux on dual boot (because I believe it's better than running it on a VM, in this case I had installed it before on a VirtualBox). I installed rEFInd bootloader on it. After checking that I have all the requirements, (my mac has 1TB of space I can give to the linux partition, 8 GB Ram for a better experience, it's a late 2013 one and has over 10.9 OS X Version) I turned off my mac, and then turned it on and pressed option key. It loaded 4 operating systems. Not a surprise, really. One called bootcamp (I have windows 10 installed on my mac, I know.), the EFI one, the Macintosh HD and the flash drive where the installation files were in,recognized as "Windows" of course. So I selected Live Boot, where I was going to make a partition using GParted for it, and then perform a graphical install. For some reason (I've googled it many times and nobody has faced any problem like mine before) both my keyboard and mouse don't respond, so I'm sitting just on the desktop screen unable to do anything. At first I thought it was a coincidence and there was no battery left on BOTH my keyboard and mouse (read on). I switched it off and turned it on again, this time without pressing the option key, it automatically booted into rEFInd. Guess what? The keyboard and mouse didn't work there, so after the 20 second countdown was over it booted into the "rEFInd" boot thing and for some reason it happened to boot on my windows 10 which is from where I am writing at the moment. I tried to delete the EFI folder in C:\\THISPC\\Macintosh HD\EFI but I get an error like "file too big for destination" (destination was right in the trash can). But how? Windows 10 partition AKA bootcamp has 435 out of 465 GB free and the EFI file is in Kilobytes... All in all, every time I start my mac, it just boots in rEFInd, asks me where I want to boot into, but just because my mouse and keyboard don't respond there (But they do in Windows 10) it automatically reboots into bootcamp so basically I am trapped this operating system and that's it. Would deleting rEFInd bypass the bootloader and boot automatically in os x? Should I wipe the windows 10 partition using diskpart and hope that the next time it shows the bootloader it will select mac os x as default? I'm just lost. Please help... ASAP if you will.

If you really read all these, just thank you for your time.