PDA

View Full Version : Not able to USB boot kali linux on laptop

intoxicated
2015-11-24, 08:30
Hello,

So i recently downloaded kali linux 2.0-amd64.iso ,i used UNetbootin to make kali boot-able but i kept getting error (SYSLINUX 4.06 EDD 4.06-pre7 Copyright © 1994-2012 H. Peter Anvin et al).So i tried to use lastest win32 disk imager but it wouldn't read the iso file ,So i used the the older version and that worked .During the installation of Kali linux i got a error(Debootstrap error -failed to determine codename for release),So i abort the installation and now the laptop is not able to boot Kali Linux Plz help :( i am noob T_T.

laptop :
asus aspire one
Intel Atom
1 gb ram

Icefist
2016-02-14, 09:28
Hello,

So i recently downloaded kali linux 2.0-amd64.iso ,i used UNetbootin to make kali boot-able but i kept getting error (SYSLINUX 4.06 EDD 4.06-pre7 Copyright © 1994-2012 H. Peter Anvin et al).So i tried to use lastest win32 disk imager but it wouldn't read the iso file ,So i used the the older version and that worked .During the installation of Kali linux i got a error(Debootstrap error -failed to determine codename for release),So i abort the installation and now the laptop is not able to boot Kali Linux Plz help :( i am noob T_T.

laptop :
asus aspire one
Intel Atom
1 gb ram

All you have to do is scroll down in the installation menu ando hit execute a shell. Then mount your device be it USB or chrome to the /chrome ( mount /dev/Sr0 /cdrom)
This will fix ur problem.

Moonwatcher
2016-10-12, 07:27
Like you, I was also trying to install Kali as a dualboot with windows on an Acer aspire one laptop and getting the same message as you.

[quick answer]
- remove any partitions you may have created and leave unallocated and free space to install Kali.
- During the installation process, select "use largest contiguous free space"
- and also "All files in one partition
This should allow the installation process to proceed.

I think the problem might be with the installation software.
Prior to installation, I had already allocated and created a partition for Kali, as well as a Swap disk

I tried during the installation process, to start the shell and mount the USB stick but that didn't solve the "failed to determine codename" problem.
So what I did was stop the installation process, boot Kali in Live mode and using Gparted, I cleared the drive partition I was trying to install to.

I think this is the problem that the installer was facing.
Prior to installing Kali, I had already allocated and created the partitions, swap disk etc. and wanted to install Kali in a partition that I had already created for it.
It seems that the installer didn't like this, because to solve it, I removed the partition and Linux swap disk, and installed it in "free" unallocated space and that worked.

Borfecao
2017-01-06, 15:54
I have a fix for this, I had this problem because the USB method never worked for me, so what I did, was grab a DVD-R and it worked like a charm! Hope I helped!