PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot with Full Disk Encryption

demosthenes
2015-12-02, 06:17
Hello all,

I've looked high and low for an answer to my dilemma; using Google, the Kali documentation, and posting the question on various other boards. Nobody has been able to provide me with an answer yet, so hopefully I will have some luck here. :)

I started using Ubuntu some time ago and love it. After doing a little research I thought I would like to give Kali Linux a try but have Ubuntu as a second OS to fall back on. My plan is to dual boot Kali Linux and Ubuntu 14.04 on a fully encrypted hard drive. How would I go about doing this?

Since I will probably have to partition the hard drive, I would also like to know if there is a way to change the size of the partitions later on (if they are encrypted). The hard drive will be 1TB; I plan on setting Ubuntu up with 200GB and the rest used for Kali Linux which will be my primary OS. However, if I later decide that I would rather switch back to Ubuntu as my primary, is there a way to resize the partitions? I would prefer not having to reinstall the distros after I've set them up the way I like them, but if I have to I will.

I'm assuming that I would have to install Kali first using the entire disk and set up an encrypted LVM, then put in the Ubuntu Live Disc and use GParted to resize the partitions to install it as well. My concern is that this new partition would no longer be encrypted. Is this the way to do it, or am I missing something? I have dual booted with BackTrack 5 before using GParted, but the hard drive wasn't encrypted. This time I would like to have full disk encryption and the ability to dual boot. Any help would be greatly appreciated!