PDA

View Full Version : Installed everything plus all updates, is it possible to build an ISO from the HDD

HACK-R2D2
2013-04-23, 01:11
Did updates for Kali with all the sources in the source.list file. Updated all plug-in's etc... with nessus, w3af, metasploit etc...

So far I have installed libreoffice, nessus, ia32 stuff, some other pdf readers, p7zip, winff/ffmpeg, skype and a bunch of other things. Everything is working without error. Maybe the die hards are asking why you would install all this junk onto a pen testing plateform, simple, I am not a pen test expert, but if I have all my nomral day to day things installed and delete windows completely I found it was the most beneficial way to learn linux, pen testing etc... without been lazy and going back to windows. It basically forces you, to **** with dual boots, it's the best type of hands on training.

NOW THE BIG QUESTION
I know there is all those new kali build scripts to make your own ISO, but I was not sure if that would include all the updates.

So my question is, with my install of Kali, and all the bloatware I have installed on it, am I able to create an ISO from the installation that sites on my HDD ?

Second question, I didn't encrypt my drive with drive encryption when I installed. Is it possible to encrypt after installation. As it's only Kali running on a single partition besides the swap if there a command line tool that I can run ?

Wyti
2013-04-24, 19:40
NOW THE BIG QUESTION
I know there is all those new kali build scripts to make your own ISO, but I was not sure if that would include all the updates.

Can only answer this one, but yes when you start the live build process, it fetch the newest version of each package to build the iso, so you end up with an up to date system with everything you need.

I don't really understand what you want to do though, build an iso with live build is really good for live CD (or live USB) usage, but the great strength of thoses iso is they're heavily compressed and you can put a lot of things into a single dvd / small USB key.

If you only want to install kali on your computer, take the official iso, install it, adds the package you need and enjoy :)

charonsecurity
2013-04-25, 03:12
For your first question, check out this tool http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/, it should work for you quite well for what you want.
For your second question, yes it is possible, however it may take a bit more involved approach. Though you do have it on a single partiton, should make it easier. I believe Truecrypt can do that for you.