PDA

View Full Version : Raising TX Power - What Does This Really Do?

kalikali
2015-12-17, 20:44
Here's my understanding about raising TX Power to 30 dBm (or more):

(1) It's necessary only if you plan on doing a MITM/Evil Twin attack - this way the signal from your WiFi adapter is stronger than the signal from the victims router.
(2) It increases the distance that others can hear YOUR signal but it doesn't increase the distance that you can hear THEIR signal.
(3) The WiFi adapter will use more electricity if you increase the TX Power - as a result, the adapter will produce more heat and needs to be cooled and/or used for a short period of time.
(4) The adapter may break down sooner if you constantly raise the TX Power - this is not proven but more likely.
(5) It's illegal to raise the TX Power to 30 dBm+ in certain countries.
(6) It "may" have health issues but there's zero proof of this. An example of this is the profession of fixing radio towers. These towers likely have a higher TX than 30 and yet they're in good health. Also, if it really posed health risks, wouldn't all countries ban TX Power 30? Probably... but they don't.

OK, so I said what I know based on searching the web. Now, let's sort out what I cannot find anywhere:

(1) How much more distance (approximately) will the adapter gain by increasing TX Power?
(2) What is the average TX Power of routers? I wonder if they're already at or higher than 30 since they need to give a good signal.
(3) It's illegal to raise TX Power most likely because it causes interference with other WiFi signals in the surrounding area. So, based on experience, has anyone really noticed an issue with their internet signal due to interference caused by raising the TX Power of the adapter?
(4) Everyone who writes "it's illegal in certain countries to raise the adapters TX Power" say the same thing: Raise the TX Power and "you'll see what I mean!" What on earth does that mean? The way they say it makes it sound like someone is constantly listening to the TX Power - highly unlikely.
(5) If it's really possible that "someone" is listening to the TX Power in EVERY neighborhood - then are they able to track down the location of the adapter with the higher TX Power signal?

I am under the impression that a signal can be traced only if it's broadcasting its MAC address - so, if an adapter is set to TX 30 and it's not connected to any network nor is it acting as an Evil Twin then it shouldn't be traceable, right? Otherwise you can locate a computer without it connected to the internet - which I don't think is possible since airodump-ng can only locate routers and computers connected to a router - it cannot see computers that aren't connected. Just using logic here...

Please correct my list above or add something that I haven't thought of - I just want this to answer all the questions regarding TX Power once and for all. I'm sure others wondered the same thing.

Thank you