PDA

View Full Version : AWUS036H, Disconnects, Server not found, Unable to connect...

Foolproof
2015-12-19, 12:03
Hi, first I aplogize for my english, i'm French.

So i'm here because I need help to troubleshoot my new AWUS036H ordered one month ago.

I buyed it because it was the "reference" and most recommanded usb wifi that I saw on Kali Linux's forums. It was supposed to be the one working "out of the box" but well, it wasn't really my case.

When I first plugged it in, it was able to search for networks, but when now I'm trying to connect to a network, it can whether work or not, if not it might be a lot of reason, sometimes it's 'unable to connect' or 'server not found' or sometimes it just won't connect to my network and I have to restart the wifi (ifconfig wlan0 down/up).

But it's not the only problems, when the wifi is actually working, sometimes it crashes and it's at random moments and when it happends I have to restart agaaiin the wifi. It's becoming really boring for a supposed working out of box wifi...

I already tried many solutions found on the internet, like 'iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M auto' or restart dhcp service (which don't seems to work).

Informations:
---------------------------------------
- Computer: ASUS TP300LD (have built-in wifi but i can't disable it on the bios it's an MT7630E).

- Chipset : Realtek semiconductor Corp. RTL8187 Wireless Adapter.

- Vendor : ALFA

- Model : AWUS036H

- Channel : 1 (already changed it because it was on 11 but my neighbourgh was already using it, i'm the only one on this channel now))

- Kali Linux version : 2.0 64bit (dual-boot)
-----------------------------------------

Stages :
-----------------------------------------
1) Is the OS able to detect it ? Yes

2) Is there an interface ? Yes (wlan0 managed mode, tx power=20dbm, retry short limit=7, rts thr=off, fragment thr=off, encryption key=off, power management=off

3) RFKILL LIST show that nothing is blocked excpeted bluetooth(I disabled it because it's useless for me and change nothing to the problem)

4) I have a strong signal like 80%, using WPA/WPA2, DHCP active, no mac filtering.

5) Working in monitor mode, can search for networks when activated.

6) Injection is working I got 30/30:100% on my wifi spot (power -48.67).
------------------------------------------

Thanks!

Foolproof
2015-12-25, 19:44
Up, even with ubuntu I got theses problems but not with Windows 10 (not supposed to be compatible)...

grid
2015-12-28, 15:17
Never heard of an AWUS036H behaving this way. I've had one for some time, and it's always worked flawlessly.

Have you tried it on a different USB port, or in a different computer?

Foolproof
2016-01-01, 17:09
Never heard of an AWUS036H behaving this way. I've had one for some time, and it's always worked flawlessly.

Have you tried it on a different USB port, or in a different computer?

Hi, thanks for your help,

Yes I already tried on a different port and on a different computer and here is the result :

• Changing port change nothing
• Using another computer with Kali change nothing
• Using Windows works (but it's not supposed to be fully compatible with windows 10 so it's weird because it works better than on linux!)

I saw many forums speaking of this problem and they all gives differents solutions, some can work but it's never permanent.

I tried on Kali Linux using VirtualBox on Windows 10 and it seems to work fines but the problem is that when I use for exemple airodump to search for network, sometimes it works or sometimes it detect only 4/5 wifi when it's supposed to found nearly 20.

Now i'm trying to download a 5Go file using FTP, there is still crashes but it reconnect itself and continue to download the file...

Ubiquitous
2016-01-03, 20:36
I am having the same problem as you, in about the same environment. I have been troubleshooting this for so many hours, and it looks like it is a problem with the 4.0.0 kernel in Kali. If I fire up Kali 1.10a I have no problems at all. Neither when running airmon on other distros using 3.x kernel.

By looking around on the forums it seems like quite a lot of people are having problems with the driver for AWUS036XX.

grid
2016-01-05, 12:40
You may want to report this to the Kali team at bugs.kali.org

It's possible the wireless card is just defective.

Ubiquitous
2016-01-11, 18:20
A small update in case someone from the future reads this. I got my AWUS036NH to work on Kali in the VirtualBox by simply filtering it as an USB 1.1 instead of USB 2 in VirtualBox. Why that is and what it effects, I dont know really, but I am now able to switch flawlessly between monitor and managed mode, and it does not lose connection.