PDA

View Full Version : Major issue - Kernel panic in VMware

icefrog
2016-01-08, 13:58
Hi,

I really need someone's help as installing Kali in VMware has kernel panic issue. The environment is Thinkpad E460 laptop, Windows 7 and Workstation 10, Kali version is 2.0.

When I tried to install a new VM from ISO, or open the already packaged virtual machine of Kali, "kernel panic " always exists! Please see the attachment for details.

Many thanks for any suggestion to solve this issue.

Factionite
2016-01-19, 23:46
I'm not sure if you've solved this yet. But do you mind sharing how much disk space, memory and other devices that are connected?

xpboy7
2016-01-20, 16:28
It seems to be because of your CPU brand.
I got i7 6500u. I have the same problem as you, and as I currently informed it's because the graphic drivers aren't updated. you should really try the new Kali, I didn't try it yet, it might work.

Factionite
2016-01-21, 00:58
Ya I'm hoping to try the newest version out today as well. The latest kernel (4.4) should have skylake support built in by default. However one of the things you might want to try is to get VMware to boot it into UEFI instead of bios. To do this you need to find the .vmx file for that VM "C:\Users\user_name\Documents\Virtual_Machines\Virt ual_machine_name\ Virtual_machine_name.vmx open it with notepad and add the line firmware = "efi". You may also want to check what sort of hardware you picked when you set up the machine. Since Kali isn't one of the OS's listed when you set it up, you may have chosen some other motherboard/chipset configuration that didn't work. It should of been a later version Debian x64.

jester
2016-01-21, 20:15
For Workstation 10, make sure your hardware compatibility level for the VM is set to 10.