PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia GS7100GS Install ??

stevwolf
2016-01-15, 17:38
It seems that really to get good performance out of the computer and various programs like hashcat you realy need to use the GPU.

I'm struggling to get this working. And it does seem like it is one of the most troublesome issue as many have commented and provided a number of solutions.

I have read many, many posts, FAQ's etc on how to do this but I seem to keep failing.

I have an a Dell Optiplex 745. I have a GeForce 7100GS. Can someone point me in the direction to which FAQ etc is the best for this particular set up. This card seems to have three ports on it, svidia (i think) DVI which is what I use and regular VGA type. I dont really know if it maters if I use the DVI or VGA??

Right out of the box when I put this card in and install a fresh copy of Kali it gives me the dreaded Blinking Curser. So I do a Control-Alt-F1 to log and update linux etc.

Is there any advice on which method I should use. They all do seem similar with a few adjustment.

Thanks.

stevwolf
2016-01-18, 20:27
Ok to move this along...

I have had some success.. The method works for me it Seems?, but as always it brings more questions.

FYI: I followed the post called, Title: Problem Solved for NVIDIA proprietary drivers (older ones at least):

(start with fresh install)

#apt-get update
#apt-get dist-upgrade
#apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)

++DO NOT: apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms (this will prevent you from installing your specific driver that is not covered in the generic nvidia package)

+Then run:
# sed 's/quiet/quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g' -i /etc/default/grub
# update-grub
# reboot

+- The proprietary driver wont install without this nouveau being killed so do that now...
+Type: CTRL+ALT+F2 and at the prompt type 'init 3'. Check status with 'runlevel' command (it should say 3 or something like 5 3.

+Locate the .run/exe file on Desktop or where ever execute with chmod u+x [file name]
(e.g. the nvidia driver you downloaded from nvidia that matches your card)

My driver FYI for my card appears to be, NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.131.run (GeForce 7100GS)

This worked in that when i reboot i get a graphical interface.
If I go to the program icons I see a nice "Nvidia x Server Settings" GUI and can click on it and it shows me all the nice nvida info
Or I can type nvidia-settings in a terminal window the nvidia gui opens. Yaaay.

I also have added a blacklist file for for nouveau e.g.
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

Blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
options nouveau.modeset=0

I then un-gzpped cudahashcat64 and ran the following command.

./cudaHashcat64.bin -b
but get the Error:

Error : No NVIDIA Compatible Platform found.

I'm not sure what to do. Are there more things I need to install??

I did see on the hashcat site Here: http://hashcat.net/oclhashcat/ the following note:

>"GPU Driver requirements"
>"NV users require ForceWare 346.59 or later"

I dont know what ForceWare is. Googling seems to tell me that this a generic way of saying GeForce?? Am I right on this term? My Driver is NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.131.run .
Does this mean I'm out of luck and it will not work for my card. Since hashcat site seems to say you MUST have 346.59 or greater?

By The Way...
Here is the output from a couple of commands which might provide some information regarding my setup.
Is the following command telling me I cant have any gpu's see the last lines of my next command below:

# nvidia-smi
Mon Jan 18 15:01:18 2016
+------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 4.304... Driver Version: 304.131 |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU Name | Bus-Id Disp. | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan Temp Perf Pwr:Usage/Cap| Memory-Usage | GPU-Util Compute M. |
|===============================+================= =====+======================|
| 0 GeForce 7100 GS | 0000:01:00.0 N/A | N/A |
| N/A 72C N/A N/A / N/A | 43% 53MB / 123MB | N/A N/A |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Compute processes: GPU Memory |
| GPU PID Process name Usage |
|================================================= ============================|
| 0 Not Supported |

ALSO ----

glxinfo |grep -i 'nvidia'
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.131
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 2.0 NVIDIA 304.131 304.131

Sooooo.
To recap.
Do I need to install more software and what. Or is my problem that This care just will not work?
Of course any other feedback would be greatly enjoyed.

Regards