PDA

View Full Version : NEW yoga 900 install issues

Factionite
2016-01-19, 03:30
So I bought a brand new Yoga 900 which has an I7 -skylake with touchscreen and intel wifi 8260 chipset. Ive had multiple problems and have been able to get over most of them but cant get to the end of the road no matter which path I take.

With kali 2.0 stock: nothing works right away except keyboard.
issueing modprobe -r ideapad_laptop fixes allows me to use a wifi adapter. and I have to plu gin a mouse to move around.
kali 2.0 w/4.4 Kernel: same as before except if i issue "modprobe -r ideapad_laptop" the wifi adapter still doesnt work.

Ubuntu 15.10 stock = same problems as kali 2.0 stock
Ubuntu 15.10 +kernel 4.4 = All hardware works with only a few minor bugs. However after using katoolin to get my packages, armitage and likely some other modules don't work. After spending a few hours troubleshooting armitage without much help via IRC, FAQ and forums, all answers where too generic. Also, all the applications get thrown into one single VERY LONG list that is UNSORTED. As I'm not familiar with all 330 tools, this is quiet a nuisance. I sort of need them to be categorized. I would really like to get kali 2.0 working with it but I'm not sure how to approach this issue. I'm considering shooting at the hip and merging ubuntu's sources.list with kali's but once I do the update and upgrade, I can't really undo it if it breaks it more. If anyone has any better idea's please let me know. Cause this light bulb is going dim.

Factionite
2016-01-21, 20:35
So I got my wireless working after adding in the Ucode to the specific folder. However, my touchpad and touchscreen in still broken....

Factionite
2016-01-23, 00:44
Alright so I have got everything working on my Yoga 900. This took a while to get going and a lot of searching around. However this (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=204355) post was very helpful. Especially the part about fixing the touchpad and touchscreen, since neither was detected by "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" or "xinput list". After downloading and the source code onto my UBUNTU machine via THIS (http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/debian-ubuntu-building-installing-a-custom-linux-kernel/) tutorial I edited the

/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-designware-platdrv.c

and changed line:

dw_i2c_acpi_params(pdev, "FMCN", &dev->fs_hcnt, &dev->fs_lcnt,
&dev->sda_hold_time);

to:

dw_i2c_acpi_params(pdev, "FMCN", &dev->fs_hcnt, &dev->fs_lcnt,
&dev->sda_hold_time);
dev->sda_hold_time = 30;

Basically just adding that last line.

I then continued to compile the kernel in Ubuntu. After I Finished it still wasn't working and noticed some drivers that were present in Ubuntu 15.10 w/ Kernel 4.4 were not present in Kali w/ Kernel 4.4. Even after doing modprobe and removing and adding mods to make my kali setup look like Ubuntu via "lsmod" it still wasn't working! it was obviously something more than just adding mods and firmware to machine. So I finally decided the only difference is in the kernel config. So I copied the kernel config of Ubuntu 15.10 w/ kernel 4.4 and moved it over to my kali 2.0 w/ kernel 4.4 install (same HDD, just dual booting). That command should look something like cp /path/to/Ubuntu/.config path/to/kali/Linux-4.4/.config
Note: ".config" is a hidden file, to view it you must type "ls -a" to see it. Then continue the setup from HERE (http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/debian-ubuntu-building-installing-a-custom-linux-kernel/)again. Once you finish and reboot Everything should work!

I should also note that I did not enable kali rolling updates; I left that repo out. There was a new release just recently and I have not tested it out yet.

Factionite
2016-01-25, 01:24
Alright I also fixed the lid issue. I had a problem withe the touchpad and touchscreen not working after I reopened the lid. To fix it I originally had to rmmod i2c_designware_platform, then insert it again "modprobe i2c_designware_platform", However this could easily be some other mod. To fix it, I installed "pm-utils" then I added a script to /etc/pm/sleep.d/10_touchpad. basically saying
"case "${1}" in
resume | thaw)
rmmod i2c_designware_platform
modprobe i2c_designware_platform
;;
esac

however I came across a bug in which this script wasn't being executed properly. In that case I made a different file under "/lib/systemd/system-sleep/10_modules"

that said:

MODULES="i2c_designware_platform"

case "${2}" in
suspend)
case "${1}" in
pre)
for MOD in ${MODULES}; do
modprobe -r ${MOD}
done
;;
post)
for MOD in ${MODULES}; do
modprobe ${MOD}
done
;;
esac
esac

After saving the file, Everything was fully functional. Hope this helps Others!

xanistan
2016-02-20, 06:10
Im having the same problem as you were except im running from kali live on windows and none of the above applies? How would I fix it on a windows machine ?

valentino00776
2016-03-04, 15:55
Hey Buddy
Is there any way you can give me a dummies guide to get the touchpad and screen working on the yoga 900
Managed to get the wifi going so just the above left.
thanks

Factionite
2016-03-25, 19:13
Im having the same problem as you were except im running from kali live on windows and none of the above applies? How would I fix it on a windows machine ?

Im not sure what you mean by running kali in windows. You have to be more specific. If its in a VM you would need to tell me what VM software and how it configured.

Factionite
2016-03-25, 19:22
Unfortunately this is about as dummy proof as I can make it. Think of it this way. It's an opportunity in disguise to learn how linux/kali really works which will also teach you a thing or two about scripting. In a way, you can say that you had to hack the OS to make it work and this is your first HACK! In which I say Good Luck.