PDA

View Full Version : Nethunter and kali-rolling

2016-01-23, 06:17
Kali rolling was released a couple days ago, the recommended upgrade method is posted here (https://www.kali.org/releases/kali-linux-rolling-edition-2016-1/).

To my understanding, this is for desktop installations and not nethunter. I do not want to push the "y" button on apt-get upgrade until i know its okay to do. There are as of now 685 packages to upgrade on my nethunter install.

Is it safe to do this?

I do not want to reinstall NH..again... so im trying to be..careful with my installation

pkw603
2016-01-25, 16:32
I tried this just yesterday and had some problems. I had a working kali chroot on my Nexus 9/Marshmallow/Nethunter 3.0 setup and followed the instructions on https://www.kali.org/releases/kali-linux-rolling-edition-2016-1/ for updating the /etc/apt/sources.list, apt-get update, and apt-get dist-upgrade from within a kali shell in nethunter terminal app. It looked like it was going smoothly for the most part until it was going through running the package setup scripts. During the process the device just rebooted. I opened the kali terminal again and tried to continue the process by re-running apt-get dist-upgrade. It complained of the process being interrupted and to run dpkg --configure -a to fix it. So, running that would result in another reboot of the device, so on and so forth.
That was my experience anyway :)

2016-01-25, 19:39
/etc/apt/sources.list, apt-get update, and apt-get dist-upgrade from

That may be why you had problems, i dont think your supposed to dist-upgrade NH

2016-02-02, 23:43
I tried this just yesterday and had some problems. I had a working kali chroot on my Nexus 9/Marshmallow/Nethunter 3.0 setup and followed the instructions on https://www.kali.org/releases/kali-linux-rolling-edition-2016-1/ for updating the /etc/apt/sources.list, apt-get update, and apt-get dist-upgrade from within a kali shell in nethunter terminal app. It looked like it was going smoothly for the most part until it was going through running the package setup scripts. During the process the device just rebooted. I opened the kali terminal again and tried to continue the process by re-running apt-get dist-upgrade. It complained of the process being interrupted and to run dpkg --configure -a to fix it. So, running that would result in another reboot of the device, so on and so forth.
That was my experience anyway :)

Could you explain your steps on how to get Nethunter installed on Marshmallow for the Nexus 9? No matter what I try, it keeps getting stuck at the Kali boot screen and basically forces me to flash back to Stock. Did you use the Official Download or Nightly Build? Also, are you on the latest firmware MMB29R?

jcadduono
2016-02-03, 04:00
if you are using the nightly builds, can you please:
make sure you can boot fine with your stock rom
then
flash 3.0.5 (KERNEL-ONLY FOLDER) and get a recovery.log from advanced -> copy log to sdcard (without booting), paste.debian.net it if possible
attempt booting
if successful at booting, flash the generic-armhf-rolling zip from chroot-full/ folder and copy another log to sdcard (save the first one before you do that, i need both logs separate)
attempt booting again