PDA

View Full Version : Not getting GUI after reboot/crash

LegionXII
2016-01-26, 16:51
Hey guys I have a bit of a delieima here.

I've been using Kali Linux 2.0 x64 on a HP laptop for about a month now just fine for learning pen-testing.
Last night I was using my laptop as usual (I'd recently unplugged my laptop from a monitor I'm not sure if this is apart of my problem I've heard of issues where the bios changes to multi screen and it bugs the gui out) and (Im also not sure if this is associated with the error as well, but I ran apt-get auto remove) while trying to get veil-evasion to work properly (it was failing to generate a payload)

I uninstalled Python and the other program that installed with it and while it was doing that I went upstairs to grab a drink and when I came back apparently my system had crashed or rebooted but the desktop GUI was completely gone.
It kicked me into a Text based terminal "tty1" after boot.

I googled some possible fixes and tried typing X also I tried running the GDM3 command and to no avail neither completely fixed my problem. GDM3 started the standard Kali Linux login showing me username entry and password so after entering my login credendtals I ran into a new problem.

After logging in it would show me my mouse and then it would also show me a somewhat bright blue screen and nothing else keyboard commands wouldn't work unless I hit crtl alt f1 to go to the text terminal or crtl alt f7 but I am able to move my mouse around but other than that the GUI is completely bugged and I know this to the GUI that doesn't work properly I know this not hardware failure because I was able to run Kali live to pull my files off and I wanted to gather your guys opinions here on what could be wrong before I reinstall Kali because I feel there may be a possible simple fix to this.