PDA

View Full Version : upgrading from 32-bit architechture to 64-bit architecture (Kali rolling dist 2016.1)

jfranco
2016-02-08, 23:57
Hello all,
just a quick history. Running and amd A6 processor with Radeon gpu. It is a 64 bit system that ive in the past found more fluid and smooth running with kali 32 bit kernels. However, I recently did some cleanup on the system, upgraded to the new rolling distro, added a 1 TB ssd in addition to the existing 1/2 G primary. It currently has 4 Gb ram and Im maxing it out at 8 Gb ram tomorrow. I would like to upgrade my distro from 32 bit to 64 to see how it handles with the additional gear. Side note: I also completely ripped the entire machine apart and cleaned everything, replaced all thermal paste to deal with some overheating issues, cleaned fans, ect.

Is there an easy way to do this from terminal? I like to know the actual coding and not just run gui stuff, that way I learn and understand more. I'm worried that I'm going to have to wipe it out and lay down a fresh image. :confused:

duxim
2016-02-09, 09:18
Is there an easy way to do this from terminal? I like to know the actual coding and not just run gui stuff, that way I learn and understand more. I'm worried that I'm going to have to wipe it out and lay down a fresh image. :confused:
there is no easy way to do this. the best way is to install completely new 64bit system as you said.

jfranco
2016-02-09, 12:27
there is no easy way to do this. the best way is to install completely new 64bit system as you said.
Now that is the bitchslap of truth... ****. Thanks anyway guys, if anyone has any ideas im waiting a bit to change over to 64.