PDA

View Full Version : Customising live usb

Infinite Niubility
2016-02-13, 09:25
hello everyone, I used to install kali onto my usb and I had some issue with the new version so I am using it as a live usb with persistence.

What I missed was the ability to use it as a normal usb drive for purely storage purposes on mac and windows since the partition layout was fixed. I used to partition the usb on mac with an exfat partition as the first one and another partition to install kali since windows tend to recognise only the first partition of any usb storage(or an active one?).

After burning the usb, I realised that the first partition is actually the 2.95 gb partition for kali with a fat16 as the second one. I heard from my friend long time ago that windows will ignore any partition with a hidden flag and recognise the partition following it as the first partition. Therefore,when I took another look at the usb drive, I realised that the first partition already had the hidden flag, so I moved the fat 16 partition to the end of the drive with 15 gb for persistence and ended up with 100gb of free space between the first partition and the fat 16 partition.

I formatted the last partition to be the persistence partition with a label namely 4 and the second partition to be exfat using mkfs.exfat after installing the necessary utils.

I failed to preserve any setting after many attempts of selecting live usb persistence encrypted in the boot menu.

Every thing works fine, but why isn't the persistence working?(I tried around 5 times including the burning and the partitioning.)