PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia drivers on Kali 2106.1 - Thinkpad Yoga 15

DinoS
2016-02-15, 16:34
Hi all,

I made a clean install of Kali 2106.1 on above mentioned notebook.

My GPU's are:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics (rev 09)
06:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 840M] (rev ff)

First of all, I followed the instructions from: http://docs.kali.org/general-use/install-nvidia-drivers-on-kali-linux
No luck!!!

I then followed every single Howto on the Forum.... NO luck!

Every time I get a white GUI with a smiley, telling me that "something went awfully wrong" (or something like that).
Obviously gdm-gui starts but I cannot login to gnome.

I DID manage to install the nvidia drivers on LMDE2 and Kali 2.0 (after many tries of course), but it has been a while now. I do not remember exactly what I did at the time.

Can anyone please help me to solve my problem before I start applying the Debian instructions again?

I would be much obliged,

Dino

when123
2016-02-17, 08:34
Hi , I have the same problem before ,

I fix it with the followed steps

cd /etc/X11
and ls

app-defaults X Xreset Xsession.d Xwrapper.config
default-display-manager xdm Xreset.d Xsession.options
fonts xinit Xresources xsm
rgb.txt xkb Xsession XvMCConfig

if there are Xorg.conf , please delete them . and reboot again .

hope this can help

Dikons
2016-02-17, 13:52
Thanks! I have the same problem, and I hope it will help. But at which moment should I enter this commands? Before installing Nvidia drivers or after?

DinoS
2016-02-17, 18:57
Hi when123,

thank you for your reply.
Could you please tell us which method you used to install the nvidia driver? And which driver did you use, on which Kali version?

Well, after following the Kali document, I get all the files you get with "ls" EXCEPT X and xdm.
Why do you think is that so? Could that be the reason?
I didn't install and run nvidia-xconfig, so I don not have Xorg.cong.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

DinoS
2016-02-19, 16:48
At last, after struggling for 3 days, problem solved. Thanks to this post:

Bumblebee pkg needed to be updated to work with new Xorg.

I have solved problem by changing Xorg path in bumblebee.

Uncomment source repo in /etc/apt/sources.list and do:

apt-get update
apt-get install devscripts
apt-get build-dep bumblebee
apt-get source bumblebee
sed -i 's/\"Xorg\"/\"\/usr\/lib\/xorg\/Xorg\"/' bumblebee-3.2.1/src/bbsecondary.h
cd bumblebee-3.2.1/
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -nc
dpkg -i ../bumblebee_3.2.1-10_amd64.deb
service bumblebeed restart

int0xcc!
Thank you so much again.

when123
2016-03-05, 00:51
Hi when123,

thank you for your reply.
Could you please tell us which method you used to install the nvidia driver? And which driver did you use, on which Kali version?

Well, after following the Kali document, I get all the files you get with "ls" EXCEPT X and xdm.
Why do you think is that so? Could that be the reason?
I didn't install and run nvidia-xconfig, so I don not have Xorg.cong.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi Dinos,

The only way i think we can use Nvidia driver is to use optirun . bumblebee .

as your know , Intel have HD graphic cards , as the default graphic cards . can't be changes at start .

that means , we can only use the Nvidia Card by optirun . bumblebee .

i am use kali rolling .

DinoS
2016-03-06, 02:11
Hi Dinos,

The only way i think we can use Nvidia driver is to use optirun . bumblebee .

as your know , Intel have HD graphic cards , as the default graphic cards . can't be changes at start .

that means , we can only use the Nvidia Card by optirun . bumblebee .

i am use kali rolling .

Hi when123,

I am afraid your posting is obsolete by now.
Of course I agree with you. The nvidia can be run only with optirun and bumblebee.
The problem was, how to get the the nvidia-driver installed correctly on kali 2106.1-rolling.
Well, the instructions of int0xcc solved all my problems and issues.
Since I applied his instructions I have an (almost) perfect system.

Kalli 2016-rolling turned out to be be the best and easiest and smoothest running distro I have ever had (until now), on a laptop.

I have a Lenovo thinkpad yoga 15", which, as you probably know, is an ultrabook, usable as a tablet as well.
My main sytem runs on Linuxmint LMDE2 mate edition. To get auto-rotation and tablet functionality, I had to use https://github.com/admiralakber/thinkpad-yoga-scripts.
Unfortunately Mate still doesn't integrate everything necessary for tablets, yet.
Gnome, which is used in Kali rolling, does.
I still prefer Mate and its flexibility, it's look and feel.
Although gnome 3 is missing these, it offers complete functionality to my 2in1 ultrabook, out of the box.
You can not imagine how surprised I was as I found this out by accident.
I spent the last few days getting to know gnome 3 a bit better. I added some very useful add-ons. I am very happy now. I have everything I wish for on my system.
The only thing that still drives me crazy, is the fact that I cannot edit my panels and its symbols, as I wish and as I am used to on Mate.
My upper panel is overcrowded from my add-ons and their symbols and I cannot drag them or place them there where I would like to have them ;-(

AlikDiana
2016-03-14, 02:16
I tried these ways, but it not works.