PDA

View Full Version : New to modding smart phones and had a few questions.

Tarlok
2013-04-24, 06:01
I have a droid X2 that I want to put Kali on but not sure what distro I need. There is the el and the hf versions to choose from.

Also do I need to get the sdk for android or is it possible to wipe it and run the iso install on the droid x2 withoug it?

Thank you in advance for the help.

clearday
2013-04-24, 11:52
Only the RasPi is armel, but the only distro that will work on phones is the image meant for the Galaxy 10.1. Your best bet is to use Linux Deploy to automate the chroot process. You will need at least 6gb reserved on your phone and either exfat or ext4 because of fat32 4gb file size limitation.

You can also try Complete Linux Installer. The uncompressed image for Kali is 3.8gb, but you will have to manually install each pen testing tool as it comes with none.

I have a droid X2 that I want to put Kali on but not sure what distro I need. There is the el and the hf versions to choose from.

Also do I need to get the sdk for android or is it possible to wipe it and run the iso install on the droid x2 withoug it?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Tarlok
2013-04-24, 14:06
The phone has 4 gigs of onboard that I have not touched yet so its still stock android. Guessing I need to ext4 that space as well? Last night I installed and formatted a 32 gig micro sd to ext 4 so I have 29 gigs of so of space available to work with. From what you said I gather that I will have issues if I try to put the armhf official distro on the phone?

I will get the Linux Deploy and try that out tonight, as well as dl the Galaxy 10.1 custom iso. It looks like the tab 10.1 shares the same processor with the x2. I will grab the complete linux installer as well just in case.

Excited about this project as its new territory for me.

clearday
2013-04-25, 11:40
Yep, 4GB in your internal memory is not enough. You just might barely make it with Complete Linux Installer and the 3.8gb kali image if you want to use the internal memory. Please read my previous post as far as the limitation of the 3.8gb image.

The galaxy note 10.1 image (works only with Linux Deploy) clocks in at 5.85gb uncompressed, so you see where I'm going with this.

The phone has 4 gigs of onboard that I have not touched yet so its still stock android. Guessing I need to ext4 that space as well? Last night I installed and formatted a 32 gig micro sd to ext 4 so I have 29 gigs of so of space available to work with. From what you said I gather that I will have issues if I try to put the armhf official distro on the phone?

I will get the Linux Deploy and try that out tonight, as well as dl the Galaxy 10.1 custom iso. It looks like the tab 10.1 shares the same processor with the x2. I will grab the complete linux installer as well just in case.

Excited about this project as its new territory for me.

andreotti09
2013-04-30, 14:55
ext4 will screw your sdcard surprisingly quickly, I remount /system as rw and mkdir -p /system/mnt/bt5 just keep the kali-linux.img file on the sdcard which is formated as exfat then loop mount it into the directory you just made then your not battering your sdcard.