PDA

View Full Version : Issue booting after install fresh Kali, weird stripes on the screen

Aestie
2016-03-09, 17:49
I've installed Kali linux on a couple of machines before, which was absolutely fine. I'm trying to install it on a PC without a IGP (i5 3350P) but WITH a dedicated GPU (amd 7870 XT). The installation goes fine, not a single error, but when I boot up it proceeds the first screen, but after that it goes white and 10 seconds later it starts showing weird stripes on the screen (http://i.imgur.com/CyQU2Cv.jpg).

I included an imgur link because the upload/attachment manager on the forum isn't working for me.

I think it might be an issue that it won't run of the IGP and doesn't recognise the dedicated GPU? I've run kali on the same system but in a VM which worked fine, but probably doesn't rely on the IGP.

Does anybody know what the issue is? It's really hard to find people with the same issue because it's such a vague description as well.

Thank you in advance!

Aestie
2016-03-10, 07:22
Update: Tried to boot with a live USB, but it gave me the same stripes on the screen. So I guess it doesn't support the AMD 7870 XT out of the box? Is there anyway to get past it and boot it with boot flags? Or is there an other option to make it work?

grid
2016-03-10, 12:35
Have you waited a few minutes to see if the screen clears?

I've seen a similar issue with Kali on an older Dell machine (don't recall the model, though). The stripes were a bit different, they were about an inch tall on the
bottom of the screen. After a couple minutes, the screen cleared, and the login screen displayed.

Aestie
2016-03-10, 12:47
I've actually tried that yes. It would turn the screen off, and back on again. And sadly the stripes came back.
Not sure if worth mentioning, but Debian works fine on the machine.

grid
2016-03-11, 12:54
I think you're right: Kali's video drivers aren't fully compatible with your card. You could try searching the internet to see if there are compatible drivers.

stevo4
2016-03-28, 17:07
i had the same problem
try to move with the mouse and log in, after you login the screen will clear
it worked for me