PDA

View Full Version : Installing Kali Rolling on a fakeRAID0 environment. Problem with initramfs?

adde88
2016-03-12, 09:30
Hi there fellow pentesters and security-auditors. :)
I'm having a few issues getting Kali Rolling up-and-working on my hardware RAID-0 disks (fakeraid).
I already have Windows 10 installed btw. And it's a GPT partition-scheme (EFI).

When i boot the Kali Rolling distro in UEFI mode as normal, it's unable to find my RAID-setup, unless i supply the following boot-argument to Grub:
dmraid=true
If i supply that argument, the whole installation procedure completes without any issue at all.

Grub loads as normal, and it only shows my Linux-distro. (This happens often, and usually just needs a quick fix after loading linux and re-installing Grub.)
The real problem is loading the installed Kali Rolling distro.

When i select Kali linux from the Grub menu, the problem happens almost immediately.
The first error message is:
lvmetad is not active yet using direct activation during sysinit.
And the second is something like:
Unable to locate /dev/mapper/SSD_ROOT5

After a while of looping this, it eventually hangs at BusyBox.

(initramfs): uname -a

This verifies that it's the initramfs running. I can then assume Grub is working, and that it loads the initramfs-kernel correctly from my RAID-stripe.
And that the core of the issue lies with initramfs not mounting the RAID-0 root environment correctly.

If i try:
ls -l /dev/mapper/ in the initramfs BusyBox, it just show "control". It should list my RAID-stripe aswell.

I have also tried supplying the same argument to Grub as i did to the bootloader during the installation (dmraid=true), but it helps nothing.
I've also tried searching for answers to this. But i'm not quite sure what to make of the whole thing.
I cannot find out if the initramfs needs to load a raid-module (modprobe), or if raid-support needs to be built into the kernel itself.
I figured the best thing was to just ask the community for help or pointers.

Any takers? :D

Notes:
- fakeRAID-0
- GPT partition-scheme/EFI.
- Not using crypto.
- Not using LVM.
- Intel Raid Controller. (Z97 Gaming 6 motherboard & Intel Core i7 4790k)