PDA

View Full Version : pine 64 VS raspberry pi 3

yhi
2016-03-17, 18:23
i want to create a portable pentesting kit

so which one will be best??

& will you guys launch OS for pine 64 ??
if yes then how much time you guys will take ?
please tell me aprox time so that i can decide

i already ordered Raspberry pi 3 before some days & i think i will receive today or tomorrow....

so please reply ASAP

steev
2016-04-07, 08:29
We never give ETAs for when a board will be supported, because I don't know when I'll have access to the hardware, nor will I know what the vendor has done that is likely braindead and have to work around.

zer0sig
2016-04-28, 08:41
steev, I was one of the kickstarter people and got a PINE64 2GB model. If there is a certain version of Kali more likely to support it I could try to install it and start bugtesting (and set up a VPN connection or similar so you or other developers could try getting it to work on the device). I have some free time this coming month at least until I pick up my next contract so if there is anything I can do to help get Kali running on one of these devices, I'd like to try to do it.

steev
2016-04-28, 19:02
Well the easiest way is to take one of the current build scripts that is closest to the device (probably the cubietruck/cubieboard2 scripts) and modify it to point to the kernel sources for the pine64.

The way I personally do it is:

Modify closest script to board.
Use vendor's kernel config and build the kernel for the board
See if the image boots (this typically requires having some sort of serial output from the device in case video output doesn't work!)
If the image does boot, check to see what doesn't work (combing through the logs, checking dmesg output, checking lsusb, plugging in various wifi devices to see what aren't enabled in the kernel)
If everything appears to be nominally working:

Clone the vendor kernel config somewhere;
make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=blah vendor_defconfig;
make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=blah menuconfig (modify the kernel config to enable various options. I have a script locally that I run against the config based off https://github.com/docker/docker/blob/master/contrib/check-config.sh that I use to check various wifi devices are enabled, various misc options that things like systemd require...
Build the kernel, and make sure it compiles.
Test that it boots by re-making the image; see what is (or isn't) still broken. Repeat the above steps to fix them;

Based on the kernel version, if there's already a wifi injection patch in the kali-arm-build-scripts/patches for that version, see that it applies (patch -p1 --dry-run < /path/to/$buildscripts/patches/kali-wifi-injection-$kver.patch ) If there isn't one, check the kali linux kernel git and grab the patch from there and make sure it applies.

One it works, copy the kernel .config file into kali-arm-build-scripts/kernel-configs/; (if needed) make sure the wifi injection patch is in kali-arm-build-scripts/patches/; make sure that the script is building the correct image name, and path and so forth; and finally test it again and make sure everything works. If anything doesn't work, make note of it, to be fixed in the future (and file an issue against the build scripts so that it doesn't get lost in any shuffling around of systems)

And that is basically it. It's not extremely difficult, but it is time consuming, and requires a bit of familiarity.

Also note that right now, there are no graphical browsers that work well with arm64, and multiarch is currently broken ( upstream bug: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=822489 ) but once that is fixed, we can just add in the 32bit firefox (or chromium, once they have chromium working in debian on armhf/arm64) and it's mostly complete.

drewid
2016-06-16, 00:03
I've gotten one of the A64 2GB boards in my hand as well. I'm willing to work with anyone to try to get things rolling. Unfortunately, I'm diving in headfirst and am very rusty. I'll try to keep a decent log of what I use and what changes I need to do. No guarantees on time frames since I'm working on picking up more responsibilities at work. Sunxi Pine64 page with some links to resources and configs (http://linux-sunxi.org/Pine64) and Link into Pine64 Wiki and their resource links (http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Main_Page#SoC_Specification) My plan was to run the Pine as a headless drop box so the browser issues shouldn't be too much of a problem directly.

Steev, thanks for your quick breakdown of a roadmap.