PDA

View Full Version : Can't get kali linux to boot from a USB flash drive on any notbooks

vuther316
2016-04-11, 20:03
Hi. Iv'e installed kali linux on a 8 GB usb flash drive (i also have a 1.5 TB external drive for file storage) and when i set the system to boot from the USB drive in the BIOS it will give a "invalid boot signature" or a similar error. For reference the system i am testing it on is a Samsung series 7 chronos laptop, i have also tested it on a cheaper asus laptop. (not sure which model) I was able to get it to successfully boot on 3 desktops (2 prebuilt and 1 custom built) but for some reason it won't boot on any of the laptops. When i tried disabling all the security settings in the BIOS and nothing happened. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Cryptic-F
2016-04-12, 02:02
Have you tried to change the booting option from UEFI to CSM?

This may help a lot.

vuther316
2016-04-12, 14:00
Can't seem to find that option anywhere in the BIOS.

Cryptic-F
2016-04-15, 03:27
It will be in advanced options, have a look there.. click on a few options and i am sure you will find it. Just don't change anything that is not required.

Edgrico1
2016-04-15, 08:23
"Invalid boot signature" is an error when trying to boot in "Secured Boot" mode, try disabling that first in bios.

Another issue with UEFI is if your Kali USB is not UEFI "provisioned" it won't boot unless you boot in "CMS or LEGACY" mode. Which you will need to set up in bios.

If you don't have option to set CMS or LEGACY in bios then you can make your bootable Kali USB drive UEFI compatible.

Once you create your Kali USB drive head to the "boot" folder. Open the "efi" disk image file. Once open copy/drag the "EFI" folder to the root of your Kali USB drive

You will need 7-zip or something similar to view the disk image file.

You will still need to disable "Secure Boot"

Hope this helps.