PDA

View Full Version : Kali linux iso file problem

L2008
2016-04-12, 21:10
Good afternoon everyone, I am a fan of computer security, and would like to get your help with a problem I have, thank you.

I want to create a USB boot with Kali linux,
1- Download the official website (https://www.kali.org/downloads/) the ISO file with Torrent winrar file was downloaded (this works for me perfectly when I install it in Virtual Box). Direct option kali linux server also downloads a zip file.

2- Download Win32 Disk Image, I look for the file you download is rar type, but has the final extention .iso. The Win32 Disk image software does not allow me to install this file.

I want to know how I can get only the .iso file, which is not a rar, or can transform this rar file to a .iso image.

I appreciate your help.

Greetings.

Keiyentai
2016-04-27, 20:41
When you use Win32 Disk Image by Defualt it looks for .img files to see the Kali ISO click the drop down box and select *.* and you should see it. Though when you use Win32 Disk Image it will make to partitions on the USB. A 2-2.7GB partition for the image, a 16isMB or so Fat32 then rest will be unallocated space that you need to setup in a third party partition program or Gparted in Linux.

In terminal type fdisk -l and see which one is your USB (mine comes up as /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2) then in terminal type gparted /dev/sdb or whatever the USB disk is named and it should have the 2GB partition the Fat32 and an unallocated block to format in to ext3 for persistence. Some tutorials I have read say use ext4 but I have also found six different tutorials for making the live USB in Windows with very hit and miss results. Just make sure when you used gparted you are selecting the USB Disk and not your main HDD. If you use Rufus USB burner and select ISO it will just make one giant Kali Live partition.