PDA

View Full Version : Can not sign in as root

Steffkrieg_the_Great
2016-05-18, 19:59
Greetings to all!

I'll try to make this as concise as possible. I recently picked up a copy of Penetration Testing by Georgia Weidman from the library, and am basically working through the set up process. I successfully installed and used both Kali 2016.1 and VMware on which it is running. Last night I was downloading and installing all requisite software needed as instructed by the book (with assistance from information from this forum) and everything seemed to be running smoothly. The very last thing I did was download, decompress, compile and install Hyperion 1.2 and followed all default prompts throughout the process. I then shut everything down and called it a night.

Now today when I attempt to login as root on the sign in screen, it does not allow me to sign in! There is no error message or anything, it just loops back to the default sign in screen without explanation. If anyone has any ideas as to what the issue might be, I would be greatly appreciative. Furthermore, if you need any more information other than what I have given you, I would be more than happy to provide it.

Thank you and well wishes!

Edit:

If this helps, I've included an image of the boot screen:

Don't know if there is a correlation between the messages and the issue, but I'll be looking into it in the meantime.

rootjb0
2016-05-23, 01:21
Can you try pressing ALT + CTRL + F2 at the log in screen? It should say "Kali Linux Rolling TTY2" or such. Try logging in that way and report back what happens.

If you cannot sign in, then boot from the LiveDVD / LiveUSB you used to install Kali... mount the partition... and chroot into it. From there, type 'passwd root' and change the password.

Steffkrieg_the_Great
2016-05-24, 02:43
Hello rootjb0.

I tried your method and was technically able to log in albeit without the gui. I am also able to login in recovery mode. when I type "ls" into the command prompt and/or change directory, it appears as though all files and programs I saved and downloaded are still intact, but as I said I have not been able to access the gui.

Thank you for your help btw!

edit:

I looked into the other posts on the forum and this method seemed to work for me:

root@kali:~# apt-get update
//wait for update
root@kali:~# apt-get upgrade -y
//wait for upgrade
root@kali:~# apt-get install -f gdm3

So as of right now everything seems to be working okay! The gui is up and running and seems responsive. I will let you know if any more issues arise.
Thank you!!