PDA

View Full Version : Installing missing Broadcom wl driver in Live Usb Persistance

virtum
2016-05-23, 11:03
Hi all,

I'm setting up a live usb with persistance and have been successful in getting Kali running so far. I'm running the actual Kali rolling 2016.1 .

However, I got some problems installing missing drivers for my wireless card, a Broadcom BCM4360 (Macbook Pro Retina 2014 if that is relevant in any way). If I understood it correctly, this card should be supported by the wl driver. The Debian page (and some other forums) tell me to install the driver with the following commands:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install linux-image-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') broadcom-sta-dkms
# modprobe -r b44 b43 b43legacy ssb brcmsmac bcma
# modprobe wl

However, this fails as the module wl is not found. The output from the broadcom-sta-dkms installation says that there's missing linux-headers.
In this case, most forums suggest to make an dist-upgrade, as the Kali rolling repository only has the newest headers. However, no post I've found so far considers the case of using the Live Usb with persistance mode.
Even though I update and install the newest kernel and its newest headers, the system will always boot from the older kernel on the live usb image, which is 4.3 . And as mentioned, there's no linux-headers for that kernel version in the repositories.

This, so I think, causes the the failed installation of the wl driver. Is there any other way to install the broadcom wl drivers on a Kali live usb with persistence, getting the linux-headers for an older kernel version, or upgrading the kernel on a live usb Kali?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Edit 23/5:
Fortunately, I found a recent fix on the Kali forum, which I didn't find on Google before...
https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?31118-Fix-for-quot-Module-w1-not-found-in-directory-quot-for-USB-Persistence-Users
Works perfectly fine for me!