PDA

View Full Version : Kali GUI goes to tty1 after 5 minutes without any command

RichardC7
2016-06-02, 20:18
Hello Everyone,

I've recently dual booted Kali Linux Rolling Edition (Released – 2016.1) amd64 with Windows 8.1. I made an update to the system (apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade) to be able to install my Nvidia Grapchic card's driver. After I installed successfully the Nvidia Driver for my graphic card I disabled Nouveau: sed 's/quiet/quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g' -i /etc/default/grub then made a reboot.

Checking of the driver:

root@richard:~# glxinfo |grep -i opengl
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 352.79
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50 NVIDIA
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 352.79
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50 NVIDIA
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 NVIDIA 352.79
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Booting from grub I log into to GUI, but after exactly five minutes the black screen comes up with tty1 without any command, just simply automatically.

I can go back to GUI by pressing Ctrl+Alt+f2 easily, and then it stays there and won't go back to tty1 again, but this is really frustrating that I have to that after every reboot.

Has anyone idea what could be the explanation for this phenomenon?

Thanks for any help in advance, it is greatly appreciated!

Albat0r/
2016-06-08, 09:38
Richard,

I'm getting same kind of symptom having done exactly same steps as yours (install, update, dist-upgrade, NVIDIA proprietary driver install, reboot).
Except in my case that it's not always 5 minutes, it's more random linked to inactivity (during internet browsing, terminal typing).
Also, I'm getting TTY but with 2 lines, 1 giving a kind of check disk status and the other with [OK] Power Management daemon.
I honestly forgot to try CTRL-ALT-F2 and I only did CTR-ALT-DEL which rebooted completely my system.
Just posted today a Thread about this... so far no idea what root cause is. I also know that I had Kali 2016.1 previously installed more than 2 weeks ago without issue. Then I did a apt-get dist-upgrade and then starts the issue.
Wait and see...

A/

bmanc42
2016-06-08, 23:48
i am having similar issue.. thankfully it looks like it is not a hardware problem on my end... mine does not say tty goesto black screen saying same thing that comes up while im booting up... the console messeges before gnome starts. this issue started last night i reinstalled kali and am having same issue... dont know what i was doing last night that caused it but as soon as i installed nvidia driver after reinstall i get about 5 min the the black screen

edit: i have the logs right before the problm but the are too long to post on here.

here is link:
http://pastebin.com/ezRH5S1b