PDA

View Full Version : Audio not working on Kali Linux on HDD.

Seero
2016-09-09, 18:36
Hi, I have installed kali linux on my computer's HDD in dual boot with Windows 10. Since I have installed it the audio never worked, and even if I were to go to the audio settings, on the output devices list it doesn't show any devices at all.
I don't know what Kali version I have, I'm a newbie about Linux, I have just installed the version downloaded on the official site.
These are the lspci -v outputs (only audio devices):

00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller (rev 09)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Broadwell-U Audio Controller
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 52
Memory at f731c000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 50
Memory at f7318000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
I've already tried searching through this forum and some others, I've been searching my problems with google, but no solution found worked. I've tried going to the alsamixer, and no channels are muted, and I've also tried to remove and reinstall pulseaudio, but still nothing.
Can anyone help me?

OS-13115
2016-09-09, 23:51
I'm noting you installed alsa-mixer, did you install alsa-utils also? Further, maybe try using a non-root account. Both solutions worked for me with this issue.

Seero
2016-09-10, 10:52
Yes I've installed alsa utils but still the audio doesn't work. Thank you for suggesting using another account, the audio works this way, but isn't there a way to make it work even with root?

OS-13115
2016-09-12, 00:50
it should be. what's your desktop environment? with gnome you don't need also mixer if you have pulse audio. also...you can try running: alsactl reload (or it may be restart)

lilNDN
2016-09-12, 22:16
pulseaudio --start

Same thing happened to me. Seems like pulseaudio is just not starting automatically. Mind you, --start is necessary, as just running pulseaudio doesn't completely initialize it.