PDA

View Full Version : Terrible hashing with Nvidia and hashcat (Kali 2016.2 Rolling)

Sys0p1791
2016-09-14, 04:49
I have been troubleshooting this for a couple of days and finally have the NVidia drivers installed properly from piecing together other posts of other user's woes:

root@kali-desktop:~# lsmod | grep nouveau
root@kali-desktop:~# lsmod | grep nvidia
nvidia_uvm 434176 0
nvidia_modeset 741376 6
nvidia 10080256 120 nvidia_modeset,nvidia_uvm
drm 360448 6 nvidia

root@kali-desktop:~# glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"
direct rendering: Yes

I'm confident that the nouveau driver is blacklisted

root@kali-desktop:~# cat /etc/default/grub | grep nouveau
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" nouveau.modset=0"

However pyrit doesn't see the cuda cores at all

pyrit list_cores
Pyrit 0.4.0 (C) 2008-2011 Lukas Lueg http://pyrit.googlecode.com
This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3+

The following cores seem available...
#1: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#2: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#3: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#4: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#5: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#6: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#7: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#8: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'

Strangely hashcat seems to: I grabbed a very simple md5 hash from http://www.miraclesalad.com/webtools/md5.php and tested it

hashcat -m 0 -d 1 79cfeb94XXXXXXXXXXXXX -o ?l?l?l?l?d?d?d
hashcat (v3.10) starting...

OpenCL Platform #1: NVIDIA Corporation
======================================
- Device #1: GeForce GTX 970, 1023/4095 MB allocatable, 13MCU
- Device #1: WARNING! Kernel exec timeout is not disabled, it might cause you errors of code 702
See the wiki on how to disable it: https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=timeout_patch

OpenCL Platform #2: Mesa, skipped! No OpenCL compatible devices found

WARNING: NVML library load failed, proceed without NVML HWMon enabled.
Hashes: 1 hashes; 1 unique digests, 1 unique salts
Bitmaps: 16 bits, 65536 entries, 0x0000ffff mask, 262144 bytes, 5/13 rotates
Rules: 1
Applicable Optimizers:
* Zero-Byte
* Precompute-Init
* Precompute-Merkle-Demgard
* Meet-In-The-Middle
* Early-Skip
* Not-Salted
* Not-Iterated
* Single-Hash
* Single-Salt
* Raw-Hash
Watchdog: Temperature abort trigger set to 90c
Watchdog: Temperature retain trigger set to 75c

There is that bit about no OpenCL though...and performance is TERRIBLE

Session.Name...: hashcat
Status.........: Running
Input.Mode.....: Pipe
Hash.Target....: 79cfeb94XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hash.Type......: MD5
Time.Started...: Tue Sep 13 21:44:39 2016 (1 min, 9 secs)
Speed.Dev.#1...: 0 H/s (0.00ms)
Recovered......: 0/1 (0.00%) Digests, 0/1 (0.00%) Salts
Progress.......: 0
Rejected.......: 0
HWMon.Dev.#1...: N/A

This is an NVidia GTX 970 - so I would expect a *little* more than 0 H/s!

I feel like I must be missing something on the OpenCL side since Pyrit doesn't see anything - but I'm stumped

Pietje
2016-09-14, 11:45
Maybe offtopic but can you tell us how did you get the Nvidia drivers to work????

TitoOP
2016-09-15, 10:25
How did you install the Nvidia drivers??

John_Doe
2016-09-17, 05:48
lol, I'm only a dummy but I'd bet hashcat is using your cpu, not your GTX970. Ya think?

iojymbo
2016-09-17, 17:19
John_Doe is right, you use only your CPU, not your GPU, look at the documentation:
- http://docs.kali.org/general-use/install-nvidia-drivers-on-kali-linux

John_Doe
2016-09-20, 06:06
Hey, while I'm here, how does noob Sys0p1791 manage to post "code windows"? I tried to post the text from my terminal and Kali_org threw a firewall stop at me. Then I looked at the page source and replicated the html wrappings but I still got the firewall stop. How do I show you guys text from the terminal?
>>EDIT:
Oh, when I make a new thread there's a # symbol to wrap text into a code box, but now in "edit" there is no option for same. Maybe if I click "Go Advanced"? AHA, there it is!
BTW, google didn't know this. lol

Sys0p1791
2016-10-01, 17:07
There are several guides out there for installing the nvidia drivers - this link (http://docs.kali.org/general-use/install-nvidia-drivers-on-kali-linux) will give you the steps direct from the kali docs (which is the first place I started)

It turns out that my problem wasn't with the drivers - it was somewhere with the CUDA libs / paths etc.

ULTIMATELY what resolved this was by following that document guide - with CAVEATS

Whenever installing something in that doc with apt - look closely at the "suggested packages" line. MANY of those packages related to CUDA so I ALSO installed all of those (as well as a push driver from Kali to the latest nVidia version)

After that last pass, also including all of the suggested packages (it was like 3 in the morning so I don't remember what they were), my hashing speeds were up to what I would expect with this card.

poojinky
2016-10-05, 11:02
Yea, the Kali nVidia guide fails here 'apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)' for me, I had to use aptitude but then the rest of the guide is okay, (if only the guides where rolling too)

I'm also having OpenCL issues with Kali, seems there is no clarity, I'd consider hashcat a core utility but for me Kali rolling is turning into a hodgepodge of files that might work and if they dont, it's probably your fault , and you have to read a hundred diluted thumb in the air guides to blag your way through getting it working, and that's the worst feeling when you get it working and have no idea why

anyway, i thought i would chip in too, I did less cyber-dependency-disco-dancing when Kali wasn't rolling, blog-posts and tutorials had a longer shelf life.