PDA

View Full Version : GlobalSat BU-353 USB GPS

zenbanjoman
2013-04-26, 12:40
Forgive me if this is posted someplace already, but searching didn't find anything. I use the USB GPS in the title when doing wireless testing. It did and does work fine with BT5, just plug it in and it is recognized, no issues. When I plug it into my Kali image, it just isn't recognized. lsusb doesn't show it, but other usb devices like my wireless card work fine. Does anyone know if there is a specific package or kernel mod or something missing that is needed to get this device to be recognized?

zenbanjoman
2013-05-02, 14:23
I figured it out, I'll post what I came up with here:
It started to recognize the USB device and showed up as Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port on lsusb. I'm not sure if a system update fixed that or just a reboot, sometimes it can be funny getting USB devices to connect to the VM and requires a reboot (or two, or three), I assume this is a VMware oddity.

I installed the gpsd and gpsd-clients packages

Tested it worked and I knew what device it was using with this command:
gpsd -D 5 -N -n /dev/ttyUSB0 (if ttyUSB0 doesn't work for you figure out which one it is, it is important)

Ran dpkg-reconfigure -plow gpsd and answered the questions (this is why you need to know it is ttyUSB0 or what)

For some reason needed to reboot and then plug in the device to get it working properly, maybe a VMware thing.

Asphyrin
2013-09-05, 19:23
hi
Im very new on this forum and very very very new in Linux world so please be nice with a N()OB ok :D thanks
I just have a question maybe is not the best location but i just give a search on PL2303 Serial Port (Usb-to-serial adapter) ..and here i se some trafic..
I just bought an smartcard reader/writer Magnetic Strip Encoder + Emv chip writer Version: Lke2666 V3.4 .........bla bla bla ...but i can;t connect to the computer ..
they did not sold me the driver or any software..
So can someone from here help me to connect this thing to the PC PLEASE ? i do not have bad intentios just for learning ..as u se my profile ..
Thank you

hacip
2013-09-11, 14:14
I figured it out, I'll post what I came up with here:
It started to recognize the USB device and showed up as Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port on lsusb. I'm not sure if a system update fixed that or just a reboot, sometimes it can be funny getting USB devices to connect to the VM and requires a reboot (or two, or three), I assume this is a VMware oddity.

I installed the gpsd and gpsd-clients packages

Tested it worked and I knew what device it was using with this command:
gpsd -D 5 -N -n /dev/ttyUSB0 (if ttyUSB0 doesn't work for you figure out which one it is, it is important)

Ran dpkg-reconfigure -plow gpsd and answered the questions (this is why you need to know it is ttyUSB0 or what)

For some reason needed to reboot and then plug in the device to get it working properly, maybe a VMware thing.

I used that exactly the same gps reciever once with my school project on raspberry pi. the only solution that i've found was restarting ntp service just before gpsd. It may help.

Sorry for my English.