PDA

View Full Version : Kali logout crashes kali

SnorlaxIsLonely
2016-09-20, 18:12
Hi, so i have installed Kali on a 32gb USB with persistence enabled. What im trying to do it create a new account i can use daily. Problem im facing after i create the account if i want to log out using the UI out of the ROOT user it crashes my linux... I dont even get a login screen when i reboot the computer it just goes straight into root account. I've reinstalled Kali on my USB 3 times now and the same issue always happens. Any possible fixes would be appreciated.

sup3rkirby
2016-10-04, 13:03
I was having a similar problem, and it was pretty frustrating. For my, Kali didn't crash, but it did always get stuck in the process of logging out.

What I did to 'fix' the issue was edit the auto-login settings and set a user other than root to auto-login. Interestingly enough, this also seemed to allow my system to log in and out of both the root user and my non-root user with no more problems.

Just open up a terminal (while root, obviously :p) and type

leafpad /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf

You'll see some text like:

# Enabling automatic login
# AutomaticLoginEnable = true
# AutomaticLogin = root

# Enabling timed login
# TimedLogingEnable = true
# TimedLogin = root
# TimedLoginDelay = 5

For me specifically, I noticed that the auto-login and timed login lines were actually repeated (once at the top and then once below, all commented out using #). If that's the case, delete the first set of these lines near the top and just work with ones that look similar to what I have above.

You only need to uncomment the last two automatic login lines (by removing the # in front), if they aren't already uncommented.
Then just change the user from 'root' to the name of another account you've created.

Save the file and then reboot (which you can do using 'reboot' in the terminal, if you want).

You'll be automatically logged into the other account when you boot up, but you'll also be able to log in and out of either account without it crashing/freezing anymore.

deeprooted
2016-10-04, 14:50
I seem to have a similar issue on an also rather fresh install (about 1 week old) on an HP Elitebook 820 G3 (also in a Dual-Boot Win10 Configuration). I don't get to the login screen at all and have a "_" at the top left corner after an apt-get update and upgrade today.

It seems like it's trying to start gnome but fails. Removing the "quiet" option on the Linux line in grub doesn't reveal any errors. The boot process "seems" fine but doesn't load the xserver/gnome or present me with any login prompt. It just stops doing anything after a while.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to do any further checks.