PDA

View Full Version : Login screen hanging after apt-get upgrade

Strausse
2016-10-05, 16:11
So I just did my weekly apt-get update && upgrade. Now when I log in the login screen hangs for a few minutes. I type in my login info and that hangs too, it takes a minute or 2 before the login field populates with what I typed in. The same happens on the password screen. After I type in my info I click 'next' but it takes another minute or 2 for the 'next' button to click.

I have never had this problem before. I am using Kali in a Virtual Box.
Might anyone have a suggestion?

adzam
2016-10-05, 17:19
I am having the same issue. While doing an apt-get dist-upgrade I received a "Hash Sum mismatch" error towards the end and the upgrade aborted. I assumed the issue was due to one of the packages not updating with the rest.

A temporary work around I found was to type in my username without having the VM in full screen (nothing appears in the username box), then click the "X" which brings up the shutdown machine pop-up. Cancel the pop-up and my username instantly appears, then click Next and again click the "X" and cancel, then enter my password, click "X" and cancel.

For whatever reason doing this avoided the login screen hanging. This also makes me think it is more of a VirtualBox issue than a Kali issue. Although I can not replicated the issues on any of my other Linux VM's.

Strausse
2016-10-06, 16:38
Thats what I was thinking. I am cautious about updating my GuestAdditions. Going to try your work around. Thank you so much.

adzam
2016-10-06, 21:40
I just booted my Kali VM and wasn't even able to get the login box. It just hung at a blank screen. So I dropped to terminal and did an update, upgrade, and dist-upgrade. Even though I had just done an upgrade yesterday it upgraded some packages. The dist-upgrade did not find anything. I rebooted and this time got the login box, but it was still slow to respond, so I used the method I previously mentioned to login.

I then mounted the guest additions CD, copied VBoxLinuxAdditions.run, made it executable, and ran it. It gave me a warning about guest additions already being installed, I proceeded with the installation, rebooted and everything is now working normally.

Strausse
2016-10-07, 06:28
Hey brother...
This is the simple solution that worked for me:
So a different thread had a solution that worked for this.
In your VM, go into 'settings' , and in the 'Display' menu enable '3D Acceleration' .
Now my boot up works just as great as it did before.
I hope this helps you too.