PDA

View Full Version : Live USB booting problems

erasmo52
2016-10-14, 13:11
In exactly the same way I install two different distributions:
the kali-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso boot and work well
but the last weekly release
the kali-linux-2016-W41-amd64.iso don't boot and I receive the error following message
mount: mounting /dev/sdb1 on /live /medium failed: Invalid argument
Fat-fs (sdb1): IO charset ascii not found
I think it depends from the new kernel 4.7 present in the last weekly release.
I had the same problem in a working persistence installation after installed and tried to boot the 4.7 kernel.
But a Virtualbox installation upgraded to the 4.7 kernel boot and work well.
Somebody with the same problem?
Some solution out there?
Thank you

johannu
2016-10-15, 16:44
Same error!

Downloaded kali-linux-2016.2-i386.iso and created Kali Live USB with Rufus in ISO-Mode and DD-Mode works fine, no errors.

Downloaded kali-linux-2016-W41-i386.iso and created Kali Live USB with Rufus in ISO-Mode, same error like erasmo52 reported. Created Kali Live USB with Rufus in DD-Mode works fine, no errors.

Where is the problem?

Thank you!
johannu

johannu
2016-10-17, 05:43
Same problem with version kali-linux-2016-W42-i386.iso

johannu

mariojose
2016-10-20, 03:07
I have a similar problem.

I think it maybe a usbcore or xhci modules problem related to power management.

I download kali-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso and copy it to usb3 memory stick, through a usb3 port using:

dd if=kali-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=512K
synk

If I boot Kali through usb2 port, I don't have problems. But if I boot using usb3, boot process stop at (clean dmeseg):

clocksource: Switched to clocksource tsc
random: nonblocking pool is initialized

Busybox v1.22.1 (Debian 1:1.22.9-19) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands

(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

A dmeseg boot from usb2 port (that work) is:

[ 2.970829] usb 4-1.6: USB disconnect, device number 5
[ 3.339953] clocksource: Switched to clocksource tsc
[ 3.533452] scsi 6:0:0:0: Direct-Access SanDisk Ultra Fit 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[ 3.535283] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] 60062500 512-byte logical blocks: (30.8 GB/28.6 GiB)
[ 3.536780] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off

Just the point that mount memory stick.

I have Debian installed and when I plug any device on usb3 port, unplug it and plug it again (or other device), the system not recognize the device. I need to restart system to work again. As I'm running on laptop, I changed laptop-mode configuration to AUTOSUSPEND_TIMEOUT=-1 (/etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/runtime-pm.conf). This disable power management suspend usb ports.

I tried to use usbcore.autosuspend=-1 or usbcore.autosuspend_delay_ms=-1 when boot Kali, but do not work (on usb3 port).

My usb3 port is ok, because I copy Kali on memory stick using it, and it boot on usb2 port. I copy file to external hd through this usb3 without problem too.

Maybe it is a bug on usbcore or xhci modules.

What do you think?

Best,

Mario

lb_user
2016-11-08, 08:52
We are encountering the same issue with our live-build built Kali image, although we are not booting via USB, but are installing the ISO with a persistence parition and live boot.

Has anyone come up with any solution thus far?

gastax
2016-11-10, 08:59
We are encountering the same issue with our live-build built Kali image, although we are not booting via USB, but are installing the ISO with a persistence parition and live boot.

exactly same problem here. What is missing in my kali-live-image built on october 20th?

Thanks,
gastax

wwwhoamiroot
2016-11-11, 14:39
Hello everybody,
new on the forum so have pation pls, mothertongue is german so might make some mistakes.

Got the kali 2016.2 iso on usb stick with persistence installed and worked fine.

Today i booted and did the 'apt-get update' 'apt-get upgrade' and 'ap-get dist-upgrade' as my weekly routine. After that i did the 'apt-get install veil-evasion' as well as the pip upgrade recommended in the veil-evasion installation. After that i spottet the pre set veil-evasion app in the menu. Startet it and it wanted to do a second installation. got some problems in the installation for python wanted to do a installation on the C:/ part of my main-OS on the laptop. I canceled it and rebooted to my main OS on the SSD to that i didn't crash anything. everything worked fine. After that i wanted to restart my live Kali OS from the USB and got booting problems for the OS having with my MX master bluetooth dongle. Plugged it out, restartet again. same problem with the touchpad now. And no possibility for me to bypass and continue the booting process. I went back to the main OS on the SSD and did a reinstall of the 2016.2 ISO to the UUI partition of the USB drive and had the *persistence partition untouched. I rebooted and now it works again, with all the persistence files in place and still working. Created a new folder and rebooted again to check. Everything fine and running.

Might help somebody.

lb_user
2016-11-17, 08:01
I got rid of the problem. This might not help everybody, but I'll still let you know:

We were booting from a FAT32 partition with syslinux installed.
First, I changed that to be a ext3 partition with extlinux.
Boot went fine, but afterwards, I realised, that almost everything of Kali was missing (no programs, etc.). So I checked our live-build environment and found out, that every time I do "lb config" the file "kali.list.chroot" (where every Kali program is listed) inside "config/package-lists" got deleted. I don't know why this is happening, but it is.
So I restored that list (good thing to have git), renamed it and built again. Now everything is back to normal.

I don't know, if the FAT issue might be related to the missing packages, but I can only imagine this being the case. I won't try to go back to the FAT parition and syslinux, just to test this theory though.