PDA

View Full Version : Kali Presistent-Live USB isn't presistent.

ItIsMeOkay
2016-10-17, 20:20
Hello and already thanks for the help!

I've been trying around with Kali in the last few days and now decided to create a Live USB, so that I can be more flexible. So i looked up many tutorials on How To Do It and especially how to do it with presistence. I planned on using my "32 GB SanDisk Ultra USB Stick". I tried almost every possible combination of programs because non of the Tutorials have been working and i got really frustrated cause i spend the last 3 Days only figuring out how this finally would work.
For "burning" the Iso I used: "Rufus", "Win32DiskImager" and the "dd" command on Linux.
For Partion I used: "MiniTool Partion Wizard Free" and "gParted"
I always first cleaned my USB Stick with Diskpart and then "burned" the Iso on it. Then I used One of the Partion Programs to re size the Partition with the System to 5GB, and created a second Partition with all the left over GBs and formatted it to "Ext3" or "Ext4" and labled it "presistence".
I tried all the Programs and with all the different parameters and orders on 2 different Sticks, but now im exhausted cause i spend 3 Days to Figure this stuff out.
I only get to the Point where I have the Partiton with the System Booting and the second one named "presistence" and the "presistence.conf (with / union in it)" on it.

I would really appreciate if someone would give me tips how i can make Kali recognize the second partiton and use it.

I will Include Pictures of my USB Stick right now at this stage it boots but doesn't keep files.

ByteMe
2016-10-18, 02:09
Have you only used gParted in Kali? I've had the best luck with the actual command line instructions that are available on the Kali website.
(also, *persistence)

mmusket33
2016-10-18, 04:52
The following has been recently checked

Read thru the first link.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?26731-How-to-make-a-persistent-usb-Kali2-0-flash-drive&highlight=musket+persistent

If you do not have a linux operating system to work on your flash drive then read the link below

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?26839-How-To-Make-A-Persistent-Usb-Flashdrive-When-Only-Windows-Is-Available(Windows-Only)&highlight=persistent+windows

MTeams