PDA

View Full Version : My AWUS036NH card not finding any AP's. Please help

scarboy_89
2016-11-16, 04:27
Hello everyone,

So i recently installed kali linux 2016.2 (coming from kali linux 2.0) and i noticed now my external wireless adapter card does not find any AP's near me. I have the Alfa AWUS036NH card and i am running kali linux on virtual box. It used to find all the wireless cards when i was running the kali linux 2.0 but ever since the upgrade it isnt finding anything. So far i have tried the following

1.) Re-installed kali linux
2.) used commands like apt-get update and apt-get upgrade
3.) tried to power down the wireless adapter and then power it back on and still it doesnt read anything.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

grid
2016-11-16, 12:36
First off, does the card go into monitor mode & pass the aircrack-ng packet injection test? Anything useful in the output of dmesg, or /var/log?

1stcowgirl
2016-11-21, 08:11
[QUOTE=scarboy_89;66294 Alfa AWUS036NH
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

just gave the same answer to another friend.
i have the same adapter and had same trouble.

when you use WASH or Airodump , add the "-C" command.
also, give it some time. plug & unplug & try again, IT WILL WORK!!!!!

the AWUS036NH have the RT3070 chipset and it is acting up sometimes on KALI! _ (i bet if you try it on Backtrack it will work like a charm.)

i understand kali 2 is new and may still need some work but from my EXP', your card is fine.

p.s.

i dont know much about pentests and linux, im not someone who knows everything i actually do or type on linux BUT regarding the AWUS036NH i know its not idle for todays kali.

when i had those issues with AWUS036NH (bought it cause of the reviews and strong signal) i put it aside and bought AWUS036NHA with the AR9271 chipset, its working like a horse!!!!
and to boost the signal i made a home made tin foil booster, something like this: http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/1126/3961447408.png

clone
2016-11-22, 05:00
The WindSurfer is such a fun little arts and crafts project.
It makes you want to run over to your nearest Hobby Lobby.
But alas, not as much fun as a +18 or > DBi omnidirectional Yagi 😈

svohio
2016-11-30, 20:45
Not sure if you had any success yet, but did you try to remove/reinstall the firmware driver?

apt-get remove firmware-<chipset> (e.g. Atheros)
apt-get install firmware-<chipset>

Think that is the right command