PDA

View Full Version : A little help from some friends? Kali Linux on Chromebook.

BlueTriangle
2016-11-24, 19:24
Okay, i'll preface this by saying linux is new to me, and i'm just learning the ropes.

I have a chromebook, and a windows laptop (thats being rebuilt atm). I know that I can make a bootable USB drive for the chromebook, and that's what I plan on doing for now. I just have a few questions first...I've looked around the forum before making this post to make sure I couldn't find the info elsewhere...and some of it I have found...but I want to make sure I'm doing everything right. I would really, REALLY appreciate some help on a few questions I have..

1. I'm going to buy some new, good USB thumb drives over the weekend. I plan on getting a 16GB, and a 32GB. Any suggestions on quality thumb drives that are reliable running Kali Linux? I plan on using the 16GB for linux, and loading YUMI onto the 32GB. I'm currently looking at the SanDisk Cruzer, and Samsung BAR.

2. Once I get the thumb drive, do I have to format it to something specific? ExFat, Fat32, NTFS?

3. There are many tutorials on YouTube where people are booting Kali Linux using developer mode on the chromebook, so I plan on using a reputable one to mimic. Any tips on booting up? Anything I should look out for?

4. Once it's installed, i've found some great beginner stuff on OvertheWire..so I plan on doing that. Is there any other good stuff you would recommend to get me used to it?

5. I mentioned earlier installing YUMI on a separate drive. I've heard YUMI has to sit on its own USB Stick. Is this true?

Any help is appreciated! Don't slaughter me for the newb questions!