PDA

View Full Version : wifi adapters

skankhunt42
2016-12-28, 14:55
Hello there,

Im new with kali linux and i wanted to check things out first.
so i installed kali linux in a VM and put a USB wifi adapter in my workstation. it all works i got internet and stuff but it appeared that my USB wireless adapter doesnt support monitor mode.

so i was wondering, could i run Kali linux with my build in wifi adapter in my laptop, while my ''real'' machine uses the USB wifi adapter.
If anybody ever tried this or knows from experience that i NEED an USB adapter for kali linux to work in a VM i know what i must do - search a other brand wifi adapters.
but if this work i would not notice it because i merely switched from my main computer the incoming wifi connection.

I hope people understand what i mean and could help me out.

_defalt
2016-12-29, 06:11
I've built-in wifi adapter for penetration testing but I run kali-linux as dual-boot. Configuring wifi adapter for Virtual Machines is very complicated and sometimes users also report that their wifi adapter which supports packet Injection is not working for the same in VMs.

If your internal wifi adapter(built-in) supports monitor mode then it should also work in VM. There can be errors while enabling monitor mode in VM but they can be fixed.

You'll find lot of solutions if you search "monitor mode is not working in VMware".