PDA

View Full Version : 9271L Compatibility?

Shweeee
2017-01-14, 11:50
Hi,
I'm planning on running Kali with a Live USB on my MBP and AFAIK the MBP's integrated WNIC lacks functionality so I should be better with USB WNIC.
One of the most popular names I found was the Alfa AWUS036NHA, but everywhere I see, it mention to have AR9271 chip.
For some reason, the only Alfa AWUS036NHA I can find where I lives, runs on AR9271L chip.
I would LOVE to get your approval that this "L" chip is FULLY compatible with Kali 2, will be easy to install and will support all the features required by the NIC (sorry if I annoy anyone, I just had bad experience in the past with Wireless NIC that the manufacturer switched chips, and the new version didn't had functions BackTrack needed).

Many thanks!

Shweeee
2017-01-17, 17:50
Ok so I got the AWUS036NHA today, but for some reason it doesn't recognize it automatically with Kali 2016.2 (booting as live USB, not installed).

cm0s
2017-01-18, 08:38
well i had to actually look at my 36nha see wut i had, just says ar9271 and she's plug n play
no experience with running live but i'd guess that you should be ok

try rfkill unblock stuff maybe turn network manager off net off altogether run airmon kill command etc
try that see what happens, if nothing good do the modprobe stuff

i'll say this from my own trial an error and not sure if 'right or wrong' ok, i use older version of aircrack

with all my alfa cards it is just solid everything works

wut i do is remove network manager altogether and manually do all my net stuff from terminal
including vpn/stunnel

this gives me full control and less stuff for me to break, nothing against the the other way just works
better for me, plus maybe set your local to static shut off dhcp server blah blah

ya might want to just do a full install also and dive in that way, honestly probably save you a lot of headaches
and ya learn wut really works and doesn't and mohr importantly how you want things to work

that 36nha is hands down one of the best cards period, i don't have to use my parabolic with that thing
first time i fired that up i literally looked at my monitor and went 'dang, i need to get a bigger screen'

happy hunting,

cheerz

Shweeee
2017-01-21, 18:26
Thanks cm0s. Sorry I forgot to update before, the problem was that it didn't recognize the card when I boot with it plugged in, it did recognize it later when I tried to plug it when the system was already running. Works like a charm!