PDA

View Full Version : Kali-linux-1.0.2-amd64_Install_External HD

Mistwraith
2013-04-28, 06:03
Afternoon Community,

Requesting some assistance. I installed Kali Linux 1.0.2 via my bootable DVD-ROM I made, to an external HD. I went through the entire process fine even using the mirrors to make sure I had the most up to date version. Install is 100% good. The good news is I am now dual booting if I want, the bad news, MBR somehow got moved to the SATA III drive attached.

I disconnected my SSD drive that had my current operating system on it just to make sure the Kali install wouldn't affect it. I left my secondary drive attached as it just stores programs (SATA III). During the install, Kali mentioned installing an MBR (master boot record) which I figured was fine, since my SSD with Win 7 was disconnected, I assumed it was installing it on the USB HD.

I restarted disconnecting the USB HD with Kali on it and despite booting from the SSD HD reconnected, I get brought to the Grub Loader screen, "Error cannot locate MBR bla bla bla". I had to re-plug in my external USB in order to boot my Win 7 system. A bit upset about this as this is what I was wanting to avoid. I can only assume that the MBR was moved somehow, as it did mention it was doing something with the MBR, said "As long as your loaders are listed here you should be fine, which it was"...my main concern is why did it detect my MBR on the drive that is just formatted for storage and why am I now dependent on it?

I used the graphical install and was very precise when configuring the partition to use.

Looking forward to a response.

Mistwraith

Tommy
2013-05-01, 00:16
Boot Kali from DVD open terminal and type:
Make sure tah /dev/sda is USB HDD

mkdir /mnt/install
mount -o noatime /dev/sda1 /mnt/install
mkdir /mnt/image
mount -o loop /media/cdrom/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs /mnt/image
rsync -av /mnt/image /mnt/install
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/install/dev
mount --bind /sys /mnt/install/sys
mount -t proc none /mnt/install/proc
chroot /mnt/install /bin/bash
source /etc/profile
update-grub
grub-install --no-floppy --recheck /dev/sda
exit
sync

Mistwraith
2013-05-05, 19:23
I'll try this and let you know.

maverik35
2013-05-08, 18:10
Afternoon Community,

Requesting some assistance. I installed Kali Linux 1.0.2 via my bootable DVD-ROM I made, to an external HD. I went through the entire process fine even using the mirrors to make sure I had the most up to date version. Install is 100% good. The good news is I am now dual booting if I want, the bad news, MBR somehow got moved to the SATA III drive attached.

I disconnected my SSD drive that had my current operating system on it just to make sure the Kali install wouldn't affect it. I left my secondary drive attached as it just stores programs (SATA III). During the install, Kali mentioned installing an MBR (master boot record) which I figured was fine, since my SSD with Win 7 was disconnected, I assumed it was installing it on the USB HD.

I restarted disconnecting the USB HD with Kali on it and despite booting from the SSD HD reconnected, I get brought to the Grub Loader screen, "Error cannot locate MBR bla bla bla". I had to re-plug in my external USB in order to boot my Win 7 system. A bit upset about this as this is what I was wanting to avoid. I can only assume that the MBR was moved somehow, as it did mention it was doing something with the MBR, said "As long as your loaders are listed here you should be fine, which it was"...my main concern is why did it detect my MBR on the drive that is just formatted for storage and why am I now dependent on it?

I used the graphical install and was very precise when configuring the partition to use.

Looking forward to a response.

Mistwraith

There is an issue with installer: If you have an external storage device connected when installing grub, it might install it in the external mass storage device instead of HDD. Please refer to Debian installer errata.

If it happens, you can recover grub.

Luck.

Mistwraith
2013-05-09, 18:21
@maverik35 Thanks, but that is exactly what I was wanting to do. My goal was to install KALI Linux to the external HDD, and I did manage to do that. The problem is that Grub was installed as my primary boot loader, and it went on to setup my system in a "Dual Boot Fashion", which thank goodness it did so correctly. A bit of background information.

I was curious as to HOW the EF did my MBR get detected in the first place is I had disconnected my SSD that had Win7 OS and only left my Sata III HDD (Storage Drive). Simple. Win7 is natively retarded, and when installing it does not install the MBR in the direction where you "point the OS to be installed", it installs the MBR to the first HDD listed in the BIOS.

I had my storage drive listed as my first boot device in BIOS, and my SSD drive (housing the OS), as second...Yes, technically that's incorrect, but that's the way the PC came, and I never thought to check it. Long story, short...for ANY installing KALI to an external HDD, if you go to install Kali Linux to an external HDD you will be dual booting.

I'm still debating whether to attempt to move the MBR back to the SSD where it BELONGS, or just leave it the way it is..I just dislike having to have that external USB hooked up to boot my system. I really should make a decision on this.

maverik35
2013-05-11, 16:42
Have you tried recovering (re-installing) grub to the external drive?..