PDA

View Full Version : Cannot change the lock screen background of 4.9.0-kali1-amd64

Alasdan
2017-02-22, 01:20
I've just downloaded the newest version of Kali from the official website and installed it in the VirtualBox.
I want to change the background of the lock screen, and I've searched a lot and tried a lot of ways, but none of them worked.
version check result:

root@kali:/# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Kali
Description: Kali GNU/Linux Rolling
Release: kali-rolling
Codename: kali-rolling
root@kali:/# cat /etc/issue
Kali GNU/Linux Rolling \n \l
root@kali:/# apt-cache show gnome-shell | grep Versio
Version: 3.22.2-4
root@kali:/# uname -r
4.9.0-kali1-amd64

I've tried to replace the KaliLogin.png file under /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/ with the picture I prefer, but when I rebooted later, the lock screen background didn't change, althought the original background picture file didn't exist anymore.

I've tried to replace the picture files under /usr/share/desktop-base/active-theme/lockscreen/contents/images/, and the result was the same. The lock screen background didn't change after reboot.

Finally I've come to this thread. https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?31376-Change-Kali-Login-Background-on-Gnome-3-20-2
It's the most recent solution I've found, but it didn't work, either. I followed it and saved the following script to a file.

#!/bin/sh

workdir=${HOME}/shell-theme/
if [ ! -d ${workdir}/theme ]; then
mkdir -p ${workdir}/theme
fi
gst=/usr/share/gnome-shell/gnome-shell-theme.gresource

for r in `gresource list $gst`; do
gresource extract $gst $r >$workdir${r#\/org\/gnome\/shell/}
done
and when I ran the script, I got the following result.

root@kali:~/Desktop# bash script.sh
Don't know how to handle /usr/share/gnome-shell/gnome-shell-theme.gresource
This error is due to the fact that there's no gnome-shell-theme.gresource file under /usr/share/gnome-shell/.

Now what shall I do in order to change the lockscreen background? I appreciate all the advice.

Gumby
2017-02-23, 01:29
I have an option to set the lock screen by just right clicking the desktop and selecting change background.

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here.....

Sys:

uname -a
Linux SN-003 4.9.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.6-3kali2 (2017-01-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Alasdan
2017-02-23, 01:41
I don't have such option here. When I right click the desktop there is only a "Desktop Settings...".

<code>root@kali:~# uname -a
Linux kali 4.9.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.6-3kali2 (2017-01-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux</code>